Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am trying to identify an old Peugeot engine in order to find parts. It is fitted into a boat so I don't have a vin or registration number.

Can anybody help ?
It has these details stamped into the front of the engine :-
FSS
9 69

Thanks

Peter

·
6,813 Posts
If the 69 is a year casting then engine could be from a 504 as they were in production in that year

·
5,088 Posts
Have you got a picture of the engine??

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yep it is indeed a 504 or 505 engine most likely a 2.3 going by the injectors but it was marinised by volvo and called a volvo penta engine

Peugeots designation is an xd2 if it is 2.3 xd3 if it is a 2.5 but it could also be a 2.1 but i dont think the 2.1 used screw in injectors i believe they were clamp in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which One

Hi,

I have been told it's a Peugeot xdp 4.88, xdp 4.90, Indentor, xdp90 and now xd2, xd3 and Volvo Penta.

Well it's not a Volvo Penta MD21A or MD21B.

Yes ir has been marinised as it's in a boat.

Perhaps the attached closeup of the head ribs can provide a clue. As what photo's I have found of the above don't have these.

Or the numbers stampwd into the cylinder block on the inhector side. These are WA73756 and ZA014245.

Or perhaps someone can point me to where I can get a definitive answer.

I need the correct information to get a stolen starter replaced. So I do not have the code of the starter.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
ALL those names /numbers are correct for the engine BUT

its not a 2.1 as it has the later injectors so not the MD21A OR B as they are all the same thing and indenor is the name for the engine series

It IS an XD2 or XD3 problem you will have is there are NO distinguishing marks or numbers on these engines they had a small alloy tag with an engine code

XD2 is 2304CC
XD3 is 2498CC

If i could see the engine in the flesh i could co nfirm if its 2.3 or 2.5 but not from a pic as i need to look at bits that are not easy to take pics of

That is basically the only difference between them starter for either would do starter for older 1 wont work as ringears had course teeth

From what i can see i am leaning towards 2.5 XD3

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I found a pic on this web page that matches your pic, it is quite a way down the page and is in a crate. It describes the motor as a 'XD3 2498 cc 94x90 mm 4 cil 76 cv diesel 5 velocidades. GRD / SRD / GLD" as fitted to a 505.

Link..Dossier Peugeot 505

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Those images are not quite correct the one in the crate is an XD3T T signifies its turbo as is the XD2S this is also turbo

The head castings varied over the years and the engines were also used in LDV vans Mahindra jeeps sierras and granadas LDV called them et55 or et70 but both are 2.5 ET70 is turbo version

The ribbing on the heads was only present on late version heads so thats whats swaying me towards it being a 2.5

NO 2.1 or 2.3 engines left the factory with the ribbing style heads only 2.5 engines but the ribbed head can be fitted to older 2.3 engines and possibly 2.1 engines not sure never tried !

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
According to compatibility tables I found, the XD3 and XD3T 2.5L diesel motors share the same starter motor, bendix has 9 teeth.

On the other hand, the 2.3L XD2 starter has an 11 tooth bendix, so is likely not interchangeable with the XD3 motor.

So the issue is whether the motor is a XD3 or XD2...? from other pics I have found on the www, the XD3 ones I found match the pics put up by Peterl143.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
2.3 AND 2.5 use the same starter its 2.1 that has different one but some very early 2.3 engines used the older type.

Confusion does not end there though as there are 2 distinctly different types of starter used over the years 1 is you basic starter with solenoid on top in usual manner other is a reduction gearbox type which is much smaller although they can be interchanged in most cases.

LDV van starter will fit but granada sierra type wont as they are gearbox specific i have a suitable starter bit only if it is a LATER XD2 OR XD3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ALL those names /numbers are correct for the engine BUT

its not a 2.1 as it has the later injectors so not the MD21A OR B as they are all the same thing and indenor is the name for the engine series

It IS an XD2 or XD3 problem you will have is there are NO distinguishing marks or numbers on these engines they had a small alloy tag with an engine code

XD2 is 2304CC
XD3 is 2498CC

If i could see the engine in the flesh i could co nfirm if its 2.3 or 2.5 but not from a pic as i need to look at bits that are not easy to take pics of

That is basically the only difference between them starter for either would do starter for older 1 wont work as ringears had course teeth

From what i can see i am leaning towards 2.5 XD3
Thanks all for the responses.

Unfortunately I'm in Cambridge. A long way from Falkirk. I have tried the 9 tooth Volvo Penta MD21 starter. The teeth do not engage. Another 10 tooth one that was supposed to fit the 505 almost does. Hence my need to positively identify the engine. I'm collecting starter motors !

Where can I expect to find this tag and what will it have on it ?

What are the bendix codes, or other makes equivalent, for the starters ? (A supplier would be nice too).

What differences can I look for between the xd2 and xd3. Mine is not turbo charged. Does that make it either a xd2p or xd3p ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
2.3 AND 2.5 use the same starter its 2.1 that has different one but some very early 2.3 engines used the older type.

Confusion does not end there though as there are 2 distinctly different types of starter used over the years 1 is you basic starter with solenoid on top in usual manner other is a reduction gearbox type which is much smaller although they can be interchanged in most cases.

LDV van starter will fit but granada sierra type wont as they are gearbox specific i have a suitable starter bit only if it is a LATER XD2 OR XD3
It had the usual basic starter and solenoid configuration.

Could you message me with details of price spec etc of the starter. Nb second starter tried was a ten tooth Bosch.

Reliable406 your message box is full.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
My message box wont let me read it or empty it !

As for the differences its really hard to explain there are many sutle differences between the 2.5 and 2.3

As i say teeth are bigger on 2.1 engine so starter is no good we had the same sort of issue with our LDV truck needed a front pulley ended up buying a whole spare engine !

The tag will be long gone most likely but IF it is there it will be on the block riveted on usually at the bellhousing bolts it will have peugeots 3 digit code for the engine NOT XD3 something like 155 or 152A/B most likely but it might not even be an original peugeot it might be from ford or LDV although the same the numbers are different!

Post up a pic of the starter that nearly fits and does your bellhousing have a locating dowel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For starter that almost fitted see ebay item 262749665446. The description has the codes.

I will check for tag and dowel. Though the bell housing has been removed for the marine gearbox.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Yes i realise it has a different bellhousing but if it has a dowel a common thing was to remove the dowel this allowed a little movement on the starter bolts allowing it to mesh properly if the holes were ellongated slightly.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If the starter you have is like the pic on that ebay listing thats still quite an old version there were 2 others after that but they should all fit to be honest except the 2.1 type
Problem is it may have a specific nosecone to suit the marine application.

I sold a few 505 engines over the years destined for boats and they always took the starter along with the engine so i assume it should fit but there was more than just volvo marinising them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The starter and flywheel cover flanges do not have a locating dowel.

I'm not at the boat to search for the tag at the moment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was the starter I tried but it had 10 teeth not 11. The volvo penta 9 teeth. Flywheel and housing does not look like its been changed for marinisation.

Attached photo of possable tag.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Numbers on the blocks are just casting numbers they wont really tell you anything its a little alloy tag your looking for

Dont see a starter pic :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts