Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find I am putting in a good litre of oil for every 1500 kilometres.
This seems high to me, although in the last few years I have been running diesel engines. This is for the i.6 petrol with 75,000 miles on the clock.

I'd be interested to know what sort of top up others are having to do.

Regards,
Colin.

·
6,599 Posts
on the 1.6 VTI (prince) engine fitted to my daughters 207cc Peugeot stated that
her oil consumption of around 3/4 Ltr per 1000 miles is acceptable oil consumption when I queried the oil consumption on her car

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been measuring it that accurately, so I suppose it works out a little more than 3/4 litre per 1000 miles (even allowing for the mix and match in the system of units!).

The engine runs clean enough and is reliable so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i have the 1.6 turbo prince engine and mine drinks a bit of oil too.

funnily enough it hasnt used any in the 2 weeks following an oil change, potentially as new oil doesnt vaporise as easily to get sucked through the pcv.

before i serviced it, however, i could go through 600-700ml per 1000 miles of fairly spirited driving. if you drive very sensibly with no putting your foot down you may find the oil consumption lowers quite a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't been measuring it that accurately, so I suppose it works out a little more than 3/4 litre per 1000 miles (even allowing for the mix and match in the system of units!).

My Pug also runs clean but consume 1 litre ~2000 km. I have noticed also engine coolant quickly becomes hot and stays about 105 C. In my opinion it must be about 90C.
when i went to local workshop they said i need to change motor head or completely all engine. Since then i am driving and adding oil because i don't believe that workshop. :broke:

·
Registered
202 Posts

My Pug also runs clean but consume 1 litre ~2000 km. I have noticed also engine coolant quickly becomes hot and stays about 105 C. In my opinion it must be about 90C.
when i went to local workshop they said i need to change motor head or completely all engine. Since then i am driving and adding oil because i don't believe that workshop.
head gasket? is the oil not contaminating the coolant causing it to run hot?

·
Registered
41 Posts
head gasket? is the oil not contaminating the coolant causing it to run hot?
Sorry my english is not so good in car mechanics. I think correct translation for my expression "motor head" is cylinder head cover. As i was told in workshop consistency of coolant is very good and also oil seems to be clear (fine). I don't have money for deeper research that's why i'm filling oil and driving as it is. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 207cc turbo(petrol) drinks alot of oil. At least 1l per 1000km. I have blocked off the rear pvc and put a oil catch can on the turbo side but no oil in the canister. I think it's the turbo that leaks the oil but will investigate a litlle further.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 207cc turbo(petrol) drinks alot of oil. At least 1l per 1000km. I have blocked off the rear pvc and put a oil catch can on the turbo side but no oil in the canister. I think it's the turbo that leaks the oil but will investigate a litlle further.
how did you block the rear pcv? doesnt blocking the pcv hose cause a pressure build up in the crankcase? also, some of the cheaper catch cans dont have the correct internal geometry to condense and catch the oil so the vapour may just be going straight through into the turbo.

·
Registered
45 Posts
how did you block the rear pcv? doesnt blocking the pcv hose cause a pressure build up in the crankcase? also, some of the cheaper catch cans dont have the correct internal geometry to condense and catch the oil so the vapour may just be going straight through into the turbo.
Peugeot sell a cap so you can block the pvc off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Peugeot sell a cap so you can block the pvc off.
yes i know i bought some, however they arent meant to be used with pre 2010 models as there are no alternative routes for the pressure to escape, the head was modified in later models so that it was internal. i was going to do it on my 2008 but the general consensus is it isnt a good idea

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes i know i bought some, however they arent meant to be used with pre 2010 models as there are no alternative routes for the pressure to escape, the head was modified in later models so that it was internal. i was going to do it on my 2008 but the general consensus is it isnt a good idea
We're getting off topic here but alot of Mini Coopers have done it without problems. I've read lots of forums about the deletion of the rear pvc and am confident enough to block it off. Also, how many cars have 2 pvc outlets on the engine?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts