Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my 2006 307hdi yesterday, after giving the shop my registration they sold me 5w30 oil.

After changing the oil and filter I am now getting low oil pressure warning light as it warmed up, i stopped the engine immediately. I can see oil through the cap so oil is getting round the engine so I think 5w30 is too thin.

The old oil was quite thick so I suspect a different oil was used previously (only bought the car 6 months ago).

Having looked at various sites they say I could use 5w40 or 10w40 instead of the 5w30.

So my question is can I use either of the latter I am not sure if my car has the FAP but suspect it has, if I use something like MOBIL SUPER 2000 X1 DIESEL 10W40 would this be ok.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes 5w30 is one of the oils that is recommended but after putting it in, I am now getting low oil pressure warning light on. I want to check if I can put a 10w40 in instead as this is also indicated as an alternative.

C

·
0 Posts
Silly question but have you put enough oil in the engine? Mine took over 5 litres in my 407 hdi before the low oil light went out which surprised me as with previous cars I never filled to max but with the 407 I had to and I also used 5w30.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I read on this forum somewhere that some non oe filters can cause this problem - did you put on a purflux or peugeot filter - or a halfords special?

C

·
0 Posts
Oil was registering at Max on the dipstick so I think I put enough in.
Is that after the filter has filled and the engine has run for a few min to circulate the oil then checked after engine has stopped for a bit etc etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just put in a universal halfords special filter so maybe that might be the reason. I'm just about to change it back to the old oil filter and see if that does anything. Cheers for the info

D

·
0 Posts
I just put in a universal halfords special filter so maybe that might be the reason. I'm just about to change it back to the old oil filter and see if that does anything. Cheers for the info
Thats the first thing to check. Get it out of there and fit a genuine one. What engine have you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your replies, have found out the local motor factor supplied the wrong oil filter even though he looked it up via my registration number it has now been replaced with a genuine one and all is ok.

Again thanks to everyone who replied and pointed me in the right direction, lessons have been learned and the local motor factor will be getting a very irate ex-customer on their doorstep very soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts