Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just bought a Peugeot 307 sw 1.6 hdi 2005 78k

Whilst driving the oil pressure light came on ... i pulled over checked oil and was fine.. re started car and no light on ! This has happened 2 more times !

Looks like a new turbo has been fitted on the car recently ?

I have taken to a local garage who has recommended i have engine flush,sump taken off, cleaned and pick up pipe cleaned/replaced. New oil pressure switch, new oil and filter, oil cooler cleaned.

Does this sound legit and should i be worried about the turbo going again and what else can i do to rectify this issue? Would anyone recommend terra clean ?

Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Read Here

Common failure on the 1.6hdi.

The only way to try and eliminate the issue is to do as the garage said. The service bulletin can be found here

As the SB says, you need to do multiple oil changes to gut the system. Even then, there's no guarantee that a future turbo won't suffer a premature failure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gutted ! I could have bought myself a world of problems reading thise bulletins!

Update - garage rang to say oil filter was not fitted correctly and could be the cause of intermittent oil light coming on... he has done all the rest of the work i listed above.. i am just nervous now that this car could end up being a nightmare! So may just sell while running ok ?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
See how it runs before making any decisions. It might be ok, and it might have had the full clean when the new turbo was fitted.

The best bit of advice anyone could give is keep on top of the oil changes, and go for premium oil. Make sure the car has a frequent and regular good half hour run on a motorway, keeping revs up at a minimum of 2300 (and make sure the engine is hot before you hit the motorway).

I didn't mean for it to sound all doom and gloom, it's better to be aware of the issues now rather than finding out that it could be prevented after the issues have started.

The 1.6hdi is a brilliant engine, but it needs to be nursed, and the best way is to keep on top of the ongoing maintenance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks m8, i will see how it runs. I just dont want to keep throwing money at it if i know it cant be fixed as i only paid 1500 for it... really appreciate the advice

Do you think terra clean would help or just a waist of money ?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Personally, I've been tempted to get Terraclean done on my Megane 1.5dci, but for some reason I've not gone ahead with it. I've not heard too much about the effects it has on the engine, but from what I have heard it's mainly been positive.

The temp ratings for the oil should be ok, but getting a more expensive brand (eg. Total) as opposed to Halfords own brand is better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts