Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

I currently own a Peugeot 307 2.0 110 HDi Dturbo, 53 plate. I took it for MOT last Friday and having got into the car today the engine oil level check on the dashboard stated that there was low engine oil levels. So I opened the bonnet and checked the dipstick and the level was about 1-2 cm ABOVE the maximum. I have checked it several times over the past hours but this level has not moved?? Did not notice the levels when returning home from the MOT but can't say I really looked.

I regularly keep an eye on the dashboard level indicator (always read full since the last service 10K ago) as well as the dipstick (which always shown full since the last service). So all of a sudden it appears to have gone from full to low, but there seems to be more oil in the engine :confused:

One thing I have though of is that the dipstick tube could be blocked. I am unable to check this until tomorrow now as its dark outside.

Anybody have any ideas what has happened? If the dipstick tube is blocked, why? and how do I unblock it? It did have a blocked particulate filter before the MOT but seems somewhat clear now.. if this has any relevance.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :tiphat:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Good evening,
Anybody have any ideas what has happened? If the dipstick tube is blocked, why? and how do I unblock it? It did have a blocked particulate filter before the MOT but seems somewhat clear now.. if this has any relevance.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :tiphat:

I'm not that up to date with the regeneration process (nor will I really ever now my DPF has been removed) but I am lead to believe that if the correct process of sustained high revs is not followed it can result in excess diesel finding its way into the sump.

I suspect that when it was in for its MOT the regeneration process may have been triggered especially when you say you had probs with dpf being blocked.

I'd dump the oil out asap, change filter and refill with correct specification oil. You don't want an oil/derv mix sloshing around your engine for too long. If you are quick ECP have or had some cracking deals on oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not that up to date with the regeneration process (nor will I really ever now my DPF has been removed) but I am lead to believe that if the correct process of sustained high revs is not followed it can result in excess diesel finding its way into the sump.

I suspect that when it was in for its MOT the regeneration process may have been triggered especially when you say you had probs with dpf being blocked.

I'd dump the oil out asap, change filter and refill with correct specification oil. You don't want an oil/derv mix sloshing around your engine for too long. If you are quick ECP have or had some cracking deals on oil.
Many thanks for your reply. You are the second person to mention that diesel may have mixed with the engine oil. I am going to look into oil/filter replacement asap.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Excellent point, part of the diesel MOT is to hold the engine at maximum revs for I think it's 15 to 30 seconds, this could certainly trigger the regeneration process for the DPF if the filter was partially blocked:thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
Am I right in saying that maybe your oil level sensor is just buggered? they are a common fault and as they are a bit of a pig to get to most people just revert back to the old way and check it manually :D I recon Peugeot new this that why you get the sensor and a dipstick :eek:

·
Registered
548 Posts
checked the dipstick and the level was about 1-2 cm ABOVE the maximum
While the sensor may be iffy the above definitely indicates an increase in volume of 'oil' in the sump.

The sensor may have read low due to being parked on an incline or maybe just reading wrong due to being over full.

·
11,731 Posts
Yep, its a common fault. Mine does it occasionally and there's no logic as to why and when.

A replacement is around £60 and round the back of the engine so a good money maker for a dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts