Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 307 for a year now and have been a regular reader of these forums. Love the thread on hints/tips for 307!

Anyway, have now got a problem with some oil leakage coming from the driveshaft, just behind the brake disc on the front passenger side. Had a read of my Haynes manual but it's talking about taking out the driveshaft and stuff, so not sure if i'm reading the correct section.

Any ideas how i go about dealing this leak? I've taken a photo and added some crude arrows to show where it's leaking from.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
driveshaft

this is an easy job,you need first to cut off the metal clip,do not cut into the rubber gaiter. Then you can either push the gaiter back along the shaft and clean the grease from the shaft ,also try to clean inside the rubber.Move rubber back to its orginal place and secure with a tie wrap,pull tight then remove the excess strap.or you can buy metal tie wraps,same prodecure cut the excess .If you want to put more grease in the gaiter,ideally you need to tube the grease in between shaft and gaiter,other wise remove the other end clip,clean excess grease,secure the small end first,then pack the gaiter with grease and secure again with a large tie wrap plastic/or metal strap. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've read somewhere on the interweb (so it must be true), that peugeot bung in some 'oil stop leak' - to resolve this problem. The thinking goes that the seal has shrunk due to age - the 'oil stop leak' re-flexigizes the seal and stops the leak.

Try the Wynns stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting. Never considered using anything like that.

One tip I would give though is use gloves when working with the grease. A very tiny bit of it goes a long way. It seems to get onto everything and is the blackest dirtiest stuff you can imagine. Just as an example, the handles of the brand new pliers below are actually red!

When I did my boots I took the drive shafts out and the clips that came with them from Peugeot were the most difficult things to get on even with the right tool.

In the end I found a local garage who gave me some universal ones which are far easier to tighten up and therefore much more reliable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts