Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Model: 307 Rapier 16v 1.6L 2002

Hi all,

Having a bit of a nightmare with my car! My cambelt failed about a month ago and had the head rebuilt. Mechanic said the old cambelt hadn't snapped, it slipped. Then I discover a pretty serious oil leak. Draining about half a tank in 4 days. Seems to be dripping around the front of the car.

So took it back to the garage. He confirmed the oil was leaking from the bottom of the engine and not the head. Replaced the front crankshaft gasket seal (I think?), still leaked. Then he replaced the oil pump seal and still leaking. He's now ordering in a new sump gasket and saying that should fix it. He said they keep chasing the leaks around the engine. He's running out of ideas on what is the cause. Said cos its a 12 year old engine it was springing leaks every time they repaired one.

I want to see if anyone here has any advice on what it could be? I dont have too much faith that the sump gasket will be the cause. Really losing any hope now!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
If it isn't a cracked / warped block or a holed sump then the correct seals / gaskets should sort out a leak. It should be relatively simple to repair but if it wasn't leaking oil before and all they did was rebuild the head then I can't see why there should be a leak now. I'd be wondering what the garage may have done to cause this leak!

·
5,624 Posts
I would get them to check camshaft oil seal as it may have been mis-fitted or moved.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Be very aware that some mating surfaces are only sealed by silicone sealant (shocking idea in my view) and not by proper rubbers.

As you have had so much work done on the engine it is possible those seals have been disturbed (very annoying).

What the garage should of done was completely steam cleaned the engine which would of found exactly where the oil was coming from and not guessed changing parts which were possibly not needed.

It may be an idea to start using a thicker engine oil if she has racked up a heavy mileage. This may slow down the process of leaks appearing in the future.

Again it's your choice but let us know how you get on. Regards Adam. :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts