Discussion Starter #1
i have problem with my car
when i check the coolant level , i see oil and water mixed
my friend say maybe i have problem with oli cooler
is that true ???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mixing of fluids is never a good sign full stop. It could be head gasket, oil cooler seals/gaskets, cracked head, cracked block. Blocks and heads are pretty robust on modern engines but alloy heads can warp if run too hot. Oil cooler is probably the easiest and cheapest to fix so Id start there. Do you see any water in the oil ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this problem on a 307 2.0hdi, turned out to be the head gasket, which was a surprise as on a diesel there usually very robust, I would rule out other causes first (oil cooler etc) before suspecting a bad head gasket

·
Registered
96 Posts
What engine do you
1.6 16v THP
ep6dt (5FT) petrol
clean it up with a wire brush, get some new seals, make sure you clean the engine block where it mounts too as well.

I had to do mine twice, mines the petrol version and a 3 hour job, as the exhaust mainfold needs to come off to get to it, first time I did it, a few days later it started leaking oil again, so the 2nd time I did it, I cleaned it all up, then before putting in new seals, I filled the cavities with silicon, gently rested the seals on top, as you screw the coller back onto the engine, the seals will naturally push firmly into place, pushing out the silicon around them to make damn sure its not ggoing to leak or mix.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine was a bit of a strange one, because although the coolant runs down to it, it didnt actually run through it, ive attached an edited picture below so you can see what I mean, oil ran through it, coolant just ran down to 2 blanked off plates.

If the seals are gone, you can see how you could get coolant and oil mixing.

Mine was an oil leak on both occasions that I have to remove it and replace the seals.

I cleaned it all up with a wire brush attached to a drill, it pretty much looked brand new by the time I had finished, filled all seal lines with silicon, inserted the seals on top of the silicon then re-fitted it, not had a problem since.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,887 Posts
If it has an oil cooler the oil and coolant will flow through there is no point fitting an oil cooler otherwise think you are confused the oil cooler is fitted on the OTHER side your pic is the side that mounts to the block

·
Registered
96 Posts
If it has an oil cooler the oil and coolant will flow through there is no point fitting an oil cooler otherwise think you are confused the oil cooler is fitted on the OTHER side your pic is the side that mounts to the block
yes this did mount to the block, the first time I removed this unit I wasnt aware coolant ran through it, when i removed it, i lost a tiny bit of oil, basically just what was left in the filter, but lost the whole system, 4-5 litres of coolant, I was actually quite shocked when it started pouring out of it, thankfully I managed to move the tray I was using to catch the oil under it in time to catch most of the oil rather than it pouring all over the drive, the 2nd time I did it, I drained the coolant first by removing the bottom hose off the radiator.

·
Registered
14,887 Posts
So basically your car has NO oil cooler hence why the housing is not drilled through the OPs car DOES have an oil cooler and the cooler as i said does burst internally yes the seals on the housing can sometimes leak but the cooler is the weakpoint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts