Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased my first car a 307, I took my brother along with me when buying the car and he said it all was sound apart from the coolant tank gad water in it and needed flushing and refilling with antifreeze.
So I took the car to a garage to have some anti-freeze put in to which the mechanic said there was some oil in the system but he washed it all out now, a month later I checked the tank and tipped a J cloth in to which there was a tiny bit of oil in the bottom but all liquid water above this was just before I had a oil change.

After I had the oil change I noticed that alot of oil was in the coolant tank and now suspect a blown head gasket is the problem, I have done 2k miles in the car since and not noticed and other symptoms or major oil loss so I'm clutching at straws I'm asking could it be anything else apart from the head gasket? Oil cooler of it has one? Worth doing a big coolant flush myself?

I have recently took out the AA parts and labour cover in hoping I will get some money towards the repair of it breaks down before I can get it mended.

Thanks for reading.

Ps the car is a 1.4 petrol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only symptoms I appear to have is the oil in coolant tank

I'm in two minds whether to use steel seal, anyone had success with it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just written a similar post myself last week on the 207 thread Nick. Oil appearing in my coolant reservoir tank.
Had a quote for £362 which takes into account stripping the parts and five hours labour. The mechanic said it's a common fault with Peugeots and it's more than just flushing out the system.
But I am concerned that it has happened this early on - the car is only five years old with 34k on the clock. This could get expensive.
Hope you get it sorted bud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just written a similar post myself last week on the 207 thread Nick. Oil appearing in my coolant reservoir tank.
Had a quote for £362 which takes into account stripping the parts and five hours labour. The mechanic said it's a common fault with Peugeots and it's more than just flushing out the system.
But I am concerned that it has happened this early on - the car is only five years old with 34k on the clock. This could get expensive.
Hope you get it sorted bud.

Hi, that's not a bad price I've been quoted around £500 with cam bel change
My car is at 61k and unfortunately bought it private not knowing this as they flushed all the oil put and refilled expansion tank.....
I've signed up with AA parts and labour hoping it will cover this of I break down with it.

Same with you mate good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
My guess is the seal on the oil cooler has gone.
I had the same symptoms on a 306, and it was the cooler.
Because it was an old shed, I just bypassed the cooler with some hydraulic hose. Ran after no problem, even on the hottest days. Took awhile to flush the oil out the cooling system, but cleared it eventually.
I am not for a second suggesting you bypass the cooler on such a new/low mileage car, but do get the cooler checked out. Pretty easy to check and replace the seal. HTH.

Neil

·
Registered
13 Posts
radiator pipe

Hello guys,
today i was topping up my oil and strangely I noticed a little hose pointing out of the bottom of radiator that I have not seen before. I am worried because i dont know if it should be attached to something ,please help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, that's not a bad price I've been quoted around £500 with cam bel change
My car is at 61k and unfortunately bought it private not knowing this as they flushed all the oil put and refilled expansion tank.....
I've signed up with AA parts and labour hoping it will cover this of I break down with it.

Same with you mate good luck!
Sounds like a good idea with the AA plan Nick. I may look into that for the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts