Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any ideas on this i have 2.0 petrol and found oil in air filter and pipe any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A fair bit to be honest.
I have done a bit of investigating and found out it is coming from the breather pipe into the throttle body and in turn into air filter pipes/filter, so after a bit of googling i have found out that the soloution is to fit an oil catch tank of some kind to filter it out.
I will do a how to on this once i have fitted and put up on the forum incase anyone else needs it. Thanks

·
2,468 Posts
I hope the catch tank works for you....we used to do that back in the 70's..I dont like the idea of a modern engine breathing oil mist that bad....I think I would check the oil quality and give it an oil flush and correct oil and filter to start with ...good luck tho

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Not really a fix is it though. Better off to source the main problem. Is there a filter of sorts that's blocked causing the engine to breath heavy. Perhaps a compression check of the cylinders might show whats what with the piston rings etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what i have found out it is fairly normal for oil vapour to travel down to the air filter from the crankcase breather pipe obviously this is very little but over time it would build up and cause possible problems further down the line.

What i think has happened to mine is that it has been allowed to build up so adding an oil catch tank or filter on the breather pipe will stop it building up in the future.

I have only just bought the car and with no service history as it was a very cheap trade sale and iam currently going through the car with a fine tooth comb and servicing / fixing as i go.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Engines do breath to relieve the pressure build up due to compression. The rings are not 100% effective but modern day machining standards means that the tolerances are tighter than the "good old days without computers etc,etc.!
What a lot of engine manufacturers used to do was fit in the breather pipe a metal gauze so any oil in the mist hits the gauze and flows back into the sump. This might be missing or even not fitted by Peugeot but could be retro fitted to see if it helps.(wire wool springs to mind) With modern emission standards oil loss like that would be a no no as far as being part of the operation of the engine I would have thought. A lot of Peugeot owners might have reported it on the forum but it does not mean it is normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the info much appreciated , im fairly sure that it may be a build up over a period of time as air filter looks like hasnt been changed in a long while also i have no idea what grade / type oil has been used so that could have impacted on it to.

I intend to fully check engine over and give compession test to make sure its in good health and to make sure nothing else is going on, i was thinking of adding a small inline carburetor style fuel filter on the breather pipe that way i can see how much oil is coming through the pipe and monitor it for a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts