Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, my first post here!
I'll get straight to it because I have no car to use at the moment and am keen to get this sorted out.
Yesterday evening I commenced an oil and oil filter change. Finally got the sump plug out after 3 trips to Halfords and having purchased a sump plug key.

:help:

When I took the oil filter cover off I was presented with a horrific sight. The oil filter had disintegrated and there were pieces of filter material and plastic all over the oil filter compartment / holder (whatever the technical term is). I managed to dig out most of it but some is now inside the cavities and pipes leading out of the filter compartment.

:spying:

This is clearly very bad because the oil lines are contaminated with filter matter. I fear the situation has reached the limits of my amateurish skills. Is there a straight forward fix or do I need to summon a real mechanic?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have a Peugeot 307 S 1.6 petrol 03 plate.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Hi everyone, my first post here!
I'll get straight to it because I have no car to use at the moment and am keen to get this sorted out.
Yesterday evening I commenced an oil and oil filter change. Finally got the sump plug out after 3 trips to Halfords and having purchased a sump plug key.

:help:

When I took the oil filter cover off I was presented with a horrific sight. The oil filter had disintegrated and there were pieces of filter material and plastic all over the oil filter compartment / holder (whatever the technical term is). I managed to dig out most of it but some is now inside the cavities and pipes leading out of the filter compartment.

:spying:

This is clearly very bad because the oil lines are contaminated with filter matter. I fear the situation has reached the limits of my amateurish skills. Is there a straight forward fix or do I need to summon a real mechanic?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have a Peugeot 307 S 1.6 petrol 03 plate.
I would recommend flushing entire oil system I would remove sump and clean remove oil pipes and clean a piece of solid wire and some cloth will work great for this

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trustme,
Thanks, I feared that would be the process. Is it difficult to do? I can't see anything in my workshop manual about stripping the oil filter holder. Having read stuff about this I am under the impression that it isn't too difficult but I might have to call in a mechanic.

Gibbo,
Well not sure when to be hones, have had the car for a year and not done it before but who knows before that. The last service stamp shows 2006 I think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking that if it was a year or so you could claim for a professional engine flush due to part failure.
That would have been nice indeed. Well I don't have a receipt nor do I know who changed it but if I did from whom would I claim this? The garage? I guess this only applies if you have it done professionally not DIY?

Now that you mention it I might have a look for a receipt of some kind.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That would have been nice indeed. Well I don't have a receipt nor do I know who changed it but if I did from whom would I claim this? The garage? I guess this only applies if you have it done professionally not DIY?

Now that you mention it I might have a look for a receipt of some kind.
you would claim from the parts manufacture or garage but a good rule of thumb is if you don't have service history is get a service done asap the at least you know its had a service

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would recommend flushing entire oil system I would remove sump and clean remove oil pipes and clean a piece of solid wire and some cloth will work great for this
Any idea how much this would cost to have done by a mobile mechanic? I can't start the engine so will have problems taking it to a garage although the nearest one is only a few hundred metres away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved!

Well a quick update: I removed the oil filter housing which was a pain but with a lot of wiggling and partially removing a rubber corrugated clutch piston thing i managed it. Attached is a picture (taken from underneath the car) of the housing bolts removed and the housing coming slightly loose from the engine block.

I cleaned the housing with a garden hose and dried it thoroughly. Having purchased new gaskets from a Peugeot dealer I fitted these alongside a smear of engine oil then attached it back to the engine block.

Two new oil filters and oil changes later all seems well although I think I would have been happier if I'd invested in a full oil system flush but money was a factor. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me in the bum in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Short story for you.." I bought my 307 new in 2007 and always paid through the nose and had it serviced religiously . In 2010 I decided that I would look after our cars myself, research and have done so successfully till today. The first service I did on the peugeot 4 years ago I found that the oil filter had never been changed, I summized this as the cover had never had a spanner on it and the filter was black mush. After cleaning everything as you have done and many oil changes later all is good........you should be ok good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts