Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked at my 2.0l hdi 8v - 90 bhp. It looks like its got two oil caps, the first in the middle of the engine and the second at the top left (looking towards the car from the front). Do I need a new pair of glasses?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C

·
0 Posts
As standard the 90 has only 1 oil filler - the one in the rocker cover that then peeks through the engine acoustic cover.

That said, I too have also seen. Filler bodged onto the breather system, but don't know why. Parts swappage when cannibalising a different engine seems likely, but for what purpose?

Still, as long as you can get oil in, and as long as the breather system functions correctly, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I suspect it is some brilliant French idea so the same rocker-cover can be used on the production line in more than one vehicle, where one filler cap would be obscured by bodywork, etc.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the one coming thru the engine cover at front is a direct flow to the sump.i think its because of the engine size and also that you dont put cold oil over hot engine as it wont do engine any favors

C

·
0 Posts
Comparing pics on the 'web, that ones had the breather from a different HDi fitted. It'd make me suspicious as to why...?

a browse of Servicebox shows no 4 pot HDi has dual fillers, so its deffo the result of meddling, byt for what purpose is anyones guess.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well - the top filler is right under the front bulkhead - and would be very difficult to fill with oil. Could it be that this engine in another model - the engine bay allows easy access to cover filler?

C

·
0 Posts
No, the 90 in the 406, 306 and 307 had the filler in the rocker cover towards the left, with the engine acoustic cover over that and the cap accessible through a cutout.

The filler on the breather if from a different engine variant entirely, possibly the 140 used on the later 407s. It's hard to tell as all the pics on the web have the acoustic cover in place, but servicebox is quite addamant on the issue of oil filler locations.

It's 100% the result of someone tinkering, but for the life of me I can't think what they were hoping to achieve.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 307 90 bhp engine covers I've seen all have the hole in the centre - which suggests that this is not a strange modification - but a deliberate addition by peugeot.

The covers also seem to have a 'lump' (which may be removable) over the second filler cap area.

Gawd knows - this is one for Arthur C Clarke.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow - now im totally confused. My car was on the MID as a 110bhp - it isn't its a 90bhp. Peugeot have also confirmed its a 90 and the vin plate says its a 90.

Sounds weird this - but are you sure yours is 110?
Does your car have the solid engine cover?
Can you access the rocker filler - mine is jammed under the bulk head?

S

·
0 Posts
Another 90 here with 2 filler caps, god knows why it has the 2 but i cant see it being the result of meddling, and i dont think theres been any recalls on anything like this?

I do know mines a siemens BSI/ECU whatever, do the siemens systems need to use different parts elsewhere in the engine for whatever reason!?

Ah well, maybe we'll never solve it, at least its made it through its first year with no headaches for me :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
clanless said:
Wow - now im totally confused. My car was on the MID as a 110bhp - it isn't its a 90bhp. Peugeot have also confirmed its a 90 and the vin plate says its a 90.

Sounds weird this - but are you sure yours is 110?
Does your car have the solid engine cover?
Can you access the rocker filler - mine is jammed under the bulk head?

pretty sure it is 110. Considering i had to replace the DMF which i am not sure the 90 had. Also does the 90 have the FAP? and only the 110 had an intercooler-which mine has! DW10ATED engine.
Engine cover is solid and i am not 100% if i could access the filler-will check though.

C

·
0 Posts
Stubbo said:
Another 90 here with 2 filler caps, god knows why it has the 2 but i cant see it being the result of meddling, and i dont think theres been any recalls on anything like this? I do know mines a siemens BSI/ECU whatever, do the siemens systems need to use different parts elsewhere in the engine for whatever reason!? Ah well, maybe we'll never solve it, at least its made it through its first year with no headaches for me :D
stubbers, srick your VIN into the 'box, see what that says about it?

C

·
0 Posts
PM replied. Hell, I feel like Mulder and Scully!

We will figure out this mystery. I BELIEVE!

S

·
0 Posts
Just incase anyone digs this up i'll put an end to it...

There are 2 filler caps because the DW10 engine was originally used in other models (ie late 306's, 406's, however when put into the 307 the bodywork obscures this so a second one was added for ease of filling

No dodgy mods, its a peugeot thing, mystery solved :thumb: :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts