Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory state 16k miles between oil changes for the blue hdi engine. I wonder if this is just a sales pitch or is modern oil good for that? Just makes me a bit nervous...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Change it earlier.
My last few cars have been 20k intervals.
I did them every year, so every 10k or so.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
It was 12.5k miles (20k km) before the blue hdi came out. I intend to keep to that. Diesels have always been shorter changes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It was 12.5k miles (20k km) before the blue hdi came out. I intend to keep to that. Diesels have always been shorter changes.
My car from late 2016 using the Total Quartz INEO First 0W-30 has a interval 30k. Km
This new type of oil is great, driving about 5k before getting dark.

TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30

Technical Newsletter No. 2

TOTAL Nordic launches a new Low SAPS engine lubricant with fuel economy attributes: TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30. The oil has been developed in close cooperation with PSA technical departments and motorists and is now directly delivered from TOTAL Lubrifiants blendings to PSA car assembly lines. TOTAL is now the unique engine oil supplier for PSA and its products are chosen to equip all engines of brand new PEUGEOT and CITROEN vehicles, whether the engines are gasoline or Diesel-powered*.
Not only PEUGEOT and CITROEN have chosen this new engine oil to equip their engine from the plant, but they also recommend this oil for service-fill.
TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30 is the first and only oil to be homologated PSA B71 2312 for after-sales and is already officially recommended in all new car owner’s manual. Maintaining the vehicles with the very same engine oil used in factory fill is the best way to secure all vehicles performances along the years and will also help keeping car maintenance budget and fuel consumption as low as possible.

Using TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30 for after sales servicing ensures compatibility with the oil PSA uses at its factory fill.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The factory state 16k miles between oil changes for the blue hdi engine. I wonder if this is just a sales pitch or is modern oil good for that? Just makes me a bit nervous...
I`ve often remarked to my customers that modern service schedules are compiled by the sales and marketing department,not by engineers.
Therefore I recommend an oil and filter change once a year what ever the mileage. After paying thousands for a modern car why skimp on a few quid for a can of oil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, doubling up on oil changes was regarded as a good policy in the good old days. so replace just the oil at say 8k miles and oil and filter at 16k or always do both?. 8k miles is about every 3 months for me so the expense in not negligable.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If your doing big miles then it should be following an arduous use service regime anyway which means 2 changes a year minimum.

Clean oil = clean engine=happy internals =longer life

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big miles are less arduous than town driving. engine always at operating temperature, no condensation in the cam box etc.
I will ask dealer for price of 8 k oil change an if too pricey I can DIY it no prob

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok, doubling up on oil changes was regarded as a good policy in the good old days. so replace just the oil at say 8k miles and oil and filter at 16k or always do both?. 8k miles is about every 3 months for me so the expense in not negligable.
I order a engine Oil clean When i Get a oilchange, this to gether with the new and improved Oil, i wont bother.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a lease car any problems are the company's worry and when its sold after a couple of years it's tough luck on the new owner not you the current driver
Tire replacement is also a problem tires have to be right down to the limit even in the rain soaked winter aquaplaning on company time? nice....
These little issues are just a few of why I run my own car for my employers business use. keeps the tax man of my back too

·
Registered
878 Posts
Long time ago I always opted for earlier oil change - the simple way to extend engine life. But now, actualy for last 10 years or so, I change as often as manual said. When I was youngerI believed I'm smarter than wiseguys called engineers, now I'm believe they are smart enough I should trust them. My old Scenic 1.6 16V (2008) been in garage as manufacturer said - every 25 kkm or once a year. Now with 200kkm it's in perfect condition with average 7,2l/100km with no any issue. My fathers old Citroen C3 1.4 75HP (2007 or 2006)) according manual should change oil every 30kkm or every two years. And now it's in perfect condition too with 6,1l/100km. I plan to maintain my Peugeot the way as manual say.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for sharing your experience, very interesting.

Thinking about it, It would make no sense whatsoever for a manufacturer to recommend service intervals just to please the sales department if it risked a reduction in reliablity. The word would soon get around thus impinging on future sales.
I will probably keep to the recommended intervals (though such extended oil service still goes against the grain as it were)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Dealer did oil change a year ago invoice says he used Edge he contacted me a month ago saying service needed I declined as done less than 6K in the year.
My thinking is to have it done when car 2 years old in September.
The Peugeot book says that a super duper Total should be used do you think they ever do?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Dealer did oil change a year ago invoice says he used Edge he contacted me a month ago saying service needed I declined as done less than 6K in the year.
My thinking is to have it done when car 2 years old in September.
The Peugeot book says that a super duper Total should be used do you think they ever do?
I would expect they do as Total seem to be endorsed by PSA.
Normally the garage will buy bulk oil and the brand changes depending on where the buyer for the franchise found the best deal. But PSA may get some good deal and probably offer this to their franchises.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts