Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go....apologies upfront,as Im NO mechanic :confused:

Driving home today.....car started to lose power and wouldnt go much over 20mph.

Carried on for a while....power/revs getting lower and lower!

Pulled over....very hot!

Checked levels,let her cool down.

Carried on for a mile....broke down!!!! :(

Just about restart....no revs when pressing accelerator??

Then I see....white smoke / steam from exhaust :eek:

Ring mechanic friend....maybe head gasket?

He told me to check dipstick.....pull it out (dipstick that is) and OIL errupts everywhere from dipstick tube!!

So....get her taken home!!

Also have since noticed....that the air pipe is missing the part that was attached to the grill?????????

Result is now.....car starts....put foot to floor....no revs at all!!!!!!!!

And it just stalls!!!

So....any advice?? Is she dead?? Head gasket maybe??

I have attached a pic of where the pipe is missing!!!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
The air pipe thingy is normal, all 407's are like that. Did you get any faults or engine management light? When was the last time regular service was done?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no faults...no lights.....nothing lol

As for the service thing....not sure lol

Only had car 6 months...and STILL waiting for service history book to be posted to me :confused:

·
Registered
821 Posts
ah sheet.. to me that sounds almost as if something went wrong with valves or pistons. sorry im not much of a help as i dont know much about those things either, but someone will be along shortly who will be able to help you out.

in mean time i suggest you start looking into your options for mechanic and trying to figure out if you have any warranty or any protection you could use as you just have bought the car. was it a private sale or from dealer?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lol

Warranty was 90 days....it was from an independant.

Oh well....the joys of motoring I guess!

Just hope someone can come and tell me whats wrong before I get her lifted to the garage.

C

·
0 Posts
It does sound like head gasket.

Whats the expansion tank like has oil mixed with the water?

Is car diesel or petrol?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I`m still trying to work out what engine it is? ,
has it a FAP?,
is the FAP blocked?,
is the oil return pipe blocked?
what are the error codes?

If you give me time to get my crystal ball i`ll post again :confused:
Like I said...Im NO MECHANIC :rolleyes:

Maybe if I had looked into "my" crystal ball.... I would of known what questions people would want the answers too :eyebrow:

FAP?????????????
Return Pipe??????????
Error Codes???????????

Dont worry.... Ill go to the garage!

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Like I said...Im NO MECHANIC :rolleyes:

Maybe if I had looked into "my" crystal ball.... I would of known what questions people would want the answers too :eyebrow:

FAP?????????????
Return Pipe??????????
Error Codes???????????

Dont worry.... Ill go to the garage!
No point in getting your knickers in a twist , without the basic`s like is it diesel or petrol , what size of engine has it got we can`t start guessing because that will send you in the wrong direction , you don`t have to be a mechanic to read the tax book .

·
Registered
298 Posts
OP it's like going to a pc forum with a broken pc question. Without some background info nobody can really give much help other than a guess or a hint.
You've been asked to provide basic knowledge of the car that's all! Nothing special!
Fap is a fuel additive used on diesel engines.
Error messages are displayed on your dash and on your screen where your radio etc is displayed.
Both are fairly basic things to understand about your car. You can also use the computer to display a list of any errors recorded on the cars management system. If you don't have the manual then Peugeot provide an online version that will guide you: can't find he link now bt someone here will have it

You will get alot of knowledge here from some real nice people, but to really help you out your going to have to help yourself a bit and supply some basic info and maybe some research to provide some insight for those that can help you!

I know little about cars really but even I know if your oil is pressured enough to spit out of the dip stick hole then your looking at some possible major failure.
Whether the oil is frothy and coloured like the top of a whipped up hot chocolate will tell you if it's full of air and water: ie head gasket leak

Start at the basics and give the people you have asked help from the info they need to really help you; if you don't understand then ask! Nobody will ever mock you for asking! But they will for throwing your rattle out of the pram! :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok.... try again lol

407 2.0 Diesel 2005

There were no error messages.

If I start the car now....it sarts and says economy mode but then if you press the accelerator....revs go hardly anywhere....then it stalls and wont start again.

Mileage is 150k

So...oil and water look clean?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the Vin details - 2116683

And my Father in law is an area manager for the RAC (other side of UK) but he has managed to arrange someone to come and have a look also....so hopefully they can either give me a pointer....or confirm time of death as 0825 lol

·
Registered
298 Posts
ok.... try again lol

407 2.0 Diesel 2005

There were no error messages.

If I start the car now....it sarts and says economy mode but then if you press the accelerator....revs go hardly anywhere....then it stalls and wont start again.

Mileage is 150k

So...oil and water look clean?
ok economoy mode is also refferred to as "limp" mode i think;
it means the car wont rev beyond 3000 revs and everything is limited down; its enough to get you home and thats about it.
someone here will be able to give you further details but even a quick flick through the forums here will give you an idea of what can cause it; from minor things like coil packs and injectors through to far more terminal things
so it might not be awful news!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE FROM RAC!!

ok....car wont start this morning,started once....now it wont,just kind of judders!

Came back with error codes : P0299 - P0113 - P0102 - P1693 - U2001

he said was of the codes was immobiliser related but the car started this morning?

other codes are to do with turbo underboost/low input on Airflow/intake air temp/misfiring...

he did say these may be showing as a result of yesterday and they have now cleared???

So....what now....Help please lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts