Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm Steve, I'm glad to be a part of the forum.

I have a question if anyone can help. I recently had a front coil spring snap on my 306, this punctured the tyre as usual and the car had to be towed to a garage. After the spring was replaced I noticed a clunk when turning the wheel either way beyond about half way.

I took it back to the garage where the re-stripped and re-fitted the spring, the clunk remained and the garage couldn't tell me what it was. The mechanic said it sounded like a square plate on top of the strut had been damaged when the spring broke and thatthis plate now wasn't turning freely. They advised me to try and find a 2nd hand full replacement strut.

Does this sound likely and will a 2nd hand strut fix it? If so any ideas where I might get one?

Please be gentle, I don't know much about cars - but I love my 306!

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Steve,
I have a 206 not a 306 but I guess its similar. There is a top bearing on the strut that can completely fail. The noise you can hear would be either the the bearing straining to turn or the spring itself twisting and then moving in position. Might be that this caused the original spring failure. Yes SH complete strut should fix it.
Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts