Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Start this off by mentioning that since I got the car on the road (it had sat virtually unused for nearly 9 months and the battery was utterly drained - has since been charged by a combination of driving and mains charging), it has never actually failed to start but....

After work, every day, the car seems to struggle to start. My first thought was low battery. I had it tested at a local garage and they confirmed that it was low, but ok, and the recharge level at idle is in the acceptable range. Last night was the worst yet - I honestly thought the car wouldn't start at all. It did, and I then drove less than 3 minutes to a customers place (nowhere near long enough IMO for the battery to take any real charge). When I left there about an hour later, the car started perfectly well so I'm having second thoughts about the battery being the issue.

Could it be something like a sticky starter motor - that it's somehow starting to sieze during the day so it has to push extra hard to get the car going? Overtight starter belt (if the car even has one) etc.

The weird thing is it's only at work. The car sits there for about 7 hours and always seems to struggle to start. Having said that, the car sits on my drive every night for between 7 and 13 hours, but I never seem to have a problem in the mornings....

When it comes to fixing the car, I'll have a go at most anything, but when it comes to finding the problem in the first place, that's where I struggle - I mechanically minded enough to fix stuff but I dont have the know-how to accurately diagnose stuff :s

C

·
0 Posts
HHMM Strange one that! The only advice I can offer is the Battery as I had a similar issue when I 1st got my 407 & the starting Issues where very intermittant some days it would start perfect and others it was a pain. I know you said it was holding a charge etc but is it Powerful enough? the 407 2.0 hdi needs a big battery to crank it correctly I think its supposed to be a 096 type so do you have the correct battery for her? After that I'm kinda stumped as I know from your other posts you have already replaced the Air & Fuel filters. Has the oil been changed recently don't know if thats an issue but its a thought..... Also are the glow plugs heating etc ie relay as if its only happening at work is it colder at work than home ie parked in the shade where its more windy? :confused:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea if the glow plugs are kicking in or not - I assume there'd be a little coil symbol on the dash (assuming that from the 306 experiences) but I've also read the 407 won't even use the glow plugs most starts - only when it's uber cold. It's usually colder at home in the morning than at work in the afternoon, although my drive is kinda sheltered so there wont be much wind while at work it's an open road so the wind can move down it more. As for the battery, it's a Varta unit (image attached) but I don't see 096 on there anywhere...

A bit of googling finds this exact battery on C5's etc so could this be the original factory fitted one?? If that's the case it's getting long in the tooth to say the least....

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Slavey have you heard about some 407's havin a lazy starter?? Mine sounds slow as it starts, but she never fails to start. My dad (trem1) just got a new battery for his, its got higher CCA and spins his 2.0HDi over like a sewing machine.
You could try a more powerfull starter and more powerfull battery combo

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have no idea if the glow plugs are kicking in or not - I assume there'd be a little coil symbol on the dash (assuming that from the 306 experiences) but I've also read the 407 won't even use the glow plugs most starts - only when it's uber cold. It's usually colder at home in the morning than at work in the afternoon, although my drive is kinda sheltered so there wont be much wind while at work it's an open road so the wind can move down it more. As for the battery, it's a Varta unit (image attached) but I don't see 096 on there anywhere...

A bit of googling finds this exact battery on C5's etc so could this be the original factory fitted one?? If that's the case it's getting long in the tooth to say the least....
Whats the CCA on that battery??
Looks like it might have been a probelm with the last owner, thats not the original battery

C

·
0 Posts
Just doen a quick google search as well and after looking at the Halfrauds website some one is asking if the HB096 is that same as the one you have so Id sat its the correct one for your motor but if the charge has started to drop I'd say get it swapped out as the 407 doesn't seem to like low batteries I have just swapped mine with one from ECP and my car just feels so much fresher. Strange I know but the power steering feels lighter the car seem more responsive and starts easier too don't know if its a placebo but it works for me

Lion Peugeot Battery 100 (70Ah) 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK

this is the one I have just fitted and at under £50 you just can't argue :D

Use this code as well BATTERY15 it has just flashed up in the banners see if it will give you and extra 15% off

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
My old blue 407 started to be a pain to start. Sometimes It would spin over for ages really slowly, usually if left for a few hours. Turned out to be the starter. Also needed a new battery too. Afterwards it spun over like a little petrol engine. I had a battery test done on it, and they said it was ok. But they didn't do a test whilst cranking it over. Turned out the starter was sucking too much current from it to start the car.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Had a similar problem with a 206 2ltr hdi.

Fitted a new bosch battery and was much better but still struggled a little in the colder weather. Never failed to start but just took a couple of spins so to speak.

It turns out a lot of the 8v 2ltr hdi motors of that were fitted with mitsubishi starter motor which was common to some petrol models too. In fairness I'd say it was suitable for the warmer climates only. Add to that several years of use and they can become lazy.

Swapped it out for a bigger lucas one, much fatter in appearance and much higher power rating. I did have to swap connectors to suit but now it spins over like a good un!

Personally in your case I'd start with a new battery - a bosch silver can be had for good money online delivered, will have a 5yr warranty too. If its been tested and found to be even slightly suspect then you are likely to run into problems at the first long cold spell.

Then I'd consider either an exchange starter or have yours rewound.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just ordered a Bosch with a 5 yr guarantee. Paid a bit over the odds at 93 quid but it will be in the car today.... Better bloody fix it as I'm now officially skint for a fortnight!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just ordered a Bosch with a 5 yr guarantee. Paid a bit over the odds at 93 quid but it will be in the car today.... Better bloody fix it as I'm now officially skint for a fortnight!

Fingers crossed!

To be fair its a decent battery and typically the cheapest price for your needs tends to be around £75-80 for that one.

There are cheaper batteries out there but if you are keeping the car the 5yr peace of mind can be worth it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery fitted and car started better than ever so hopefully I can put this issue to bed... Thanks all for your thoughts and help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts