Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car (110HDi 2003) has been running well since I changed the MAF but today I was driving it and the EML came on and it went into limp mode. Well when I say limp mode sometimes it would accelerate well up to 3000rpm and other times struggle.
I turned the engine off and on again to no avail. So I drove it to my local garage to book it in to check the codes etc. I notice that the plipper key would not lock the car and I had to do it manually. After I'd booked the car in for Monday I started it and the EML had gone off and the car ran perfectly. Also when I locked it the plipper now worked.

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yes, cancel your garage appointment! Limp mode on my car was 2850 rpm but to that point it was running perfect. The only time I reached that rpm was if I left it in the lower gears too long. It still managed 70 in top though. Of course I never went any faster to check max speed but there was still room, rpm wise, to go faster.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would but sometimes it won't accelerate. If it was just a cut off at 2850 then that would be fine but when it refuses to accelerate it's a bit dangerous.
Any idea if the plumper thing is tied in to it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because of another fault. I put that in a different thread. Changing the MAF definitely fixed that one. It could be that the MAF has failed because it was a Eurocarparts one. But the previous fault never showed up on the EML.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I would but sometimes it won't accelerate. If it was just a cut off at 2850 then that would be fine but when it refuses to accelerate it's a bit dangerous.
Any idea if the plumper thing is tied in to it?
I don't place much reliance on coincidence. My guess is an electronic gremlin at work, but the connection between the remote locking system and engine limping is too tenuous for insight. Maybe an intermittent Canbus fault? Hopefully, the fault code history will give more data.

One point - Peugeot electronics are very sensitive to low voltage, so if the alternator is dicey, and the battery low, a wide variety of spurious faults can come up, some of which may invoke limp mode.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If your OLD maf was faulty this would also disable the EGR circuit so now that your new maf is working the EGR system may well be showing a fault that was masked before due to the ECU ignoring it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked the battery this morning. It's been sat for 2 days without being started. Battery 12.5V before starting, 14.5V with the engine idling. So that's fine.
I'll have to see what the codes say when the garage reads them on Monday.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If its a 2 litre 16 valve the EGR is electronic if its a 2 litre 8 valve egr is vacuum this is why its important to tell us WHAT engine code is as 2 litre or 1.6 is not enough info

There are 3 2 litres and there are even more 1.6 versions !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems to be fixed (happy dance). I had the codes read and they all related to the DPF. The garage cleared them but as soon as they drove it one popped back up, which was low fluid. So they topped up the fluid (very little was needed) and reset the fluid level via diagnostics. I took it for a 20 minute burn down the motorway and so far so good!#

I suspect someone had topped up the fluid previously but not told the engine management system that they had done it. All in all not bad for £65.
It's a job that I couldn't do myself without the appropriate software. Anyone got any recommendations for reasonably priced PP2000 software and connectors?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Had the exact same simptoms. Turbo was non existant, so i changed the MAF annnd presto.

Then, a new error: low turbo boost.

Had a solenoid fault, a pipe (before the intercooler) split.

This error was only apearing if the turbo was being used a lot. Like, going uphill in 4th on 2000rpm. After 30min parked, it would self erase (fugitive error).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts