Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all... I'm new to here but not to the spanners and needed some ideas.

I've come across a 207 1.6hdi that has a clutch issue. The car was fine but when it was used last (simply moving off the drive) it shuddered and banged and then stopped.... The clutch pedal depresses and returns although its not possible to engage any gears at all..... There's a strange gurgling wet sound when the pedal is depressed fully.... The fluid level is fine.

I'm wondering if the slave cylinder is shot or the pilot guide perhaps? I'm not entirely sure...

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks for reading.

MARTYN

·
7,854 Posts
Does it have external slave cylinder (front face of gearbox) if so can you see it move when pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it have external slave cylinder (front face of gearbox) if so can you see it move when pedal is pressed.
Hi mate, yes a talk to Peugeot told me it's external.... Motor factors tried telling me its CSC.... I'm gonna take a look tomorrow

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it’s the slave then dead easy to replace.

Bleeding is another issue as I couldn’t get rid of all air no matter what until I did it by pressure bleed.

Bit suspicious if you can hear the gurling sound as this might actually be the master ? Still easy to replace

The slaves tiny and very doubtful you’d hear it.

Be careful to keep the fluid topped up during all this as it’s shared with brakes otherwise you’ll end up having to bleed them as well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had a scan at your posts on similar issues... Slave brace technique as well as checking the master by pedal... Perhaps that's the gurgling sound I'm hearing?

I know Renault can have similar set ups too🤔

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it’s the slave then dead easy to replace.

Bleeding is another issue as I couldn’t get rid of all air no matter what until I did it by pressure bleed.

Bit suspicious if you can hear the gurling sound as this might actually be the master ? Still easy to replace

The slaves tiny and very doubtful you’d hear it.

Be careful to keep the fluid topped up during all this as it’s shared with brakes otherwise you’ll end up having to bleed them as well !

Thanks mate... Yes I'm now thinking master... I'm guessing much like vw and Renault types?

Looks like I better get my compressor back from my stepdad... Get the vacumm bleeder on it! 🤔

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've checked the slave on the front... There's no visible oil around or inside the rubber boot also no obvious signs near the master.

I braced the slave with wood and the pedal went down softly and struggled to return...

Also when I go to first gear with engine off the car lurches forward when turned on...

In looking at parts... Master cylinders aren't as available off the shelf and will be special order locally, slaves are abundant, which suggests to me that's a highly replaced part..

·
7,854 Posts
If you have wedged with wood and have no leaks on the slave the master cylinder is more likely to have failed. ECP & GSF normally have them in stock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have wedged with wood and have no leaks on the slave the master cylinder is more likely to have failed. ECP & GSF normally have them in stock
That's great, that's for the advice Windy.!

The pedal makes a small vibrating noise like there's a small electric motor clicking quickly through the pedal.

I'm guessing the master is similar to others... Un mount twist out of fitting etc.... I noticed it on the inside of the bulkhead above the steering rack.

GSF, ECP and GMF didn't have any at all... APD (local company) can get them. Next day for around £50 as can Peugeot for a lot more... APD usually get LUK or Sachs stuff which I prefer to Valeo...

Thanks a lot again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got hold of a replacement master cylinder.... What's the best procedure for bleeding, I've got a vacuum bleeder tho am unsure wheres best to attach?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got hold of a replacement master cylinder.... What's the best procedure for bleeding, I've got a vacuum bleeder tho am unsure wheres best to attach?
You need to bleed from slave then your sure all air is captured along the entire clutch line.

Try to keep the brakes full of fluid or you’ll be bleeding them as well.

Not difficult but worth avoiding if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to bleed from slave then your sure all air is captured along the entire clutch line.

Try to keep the brakes full of fluid or you’ll be bleeding them as well.

Not difficult but worth avoiding if possible.

AH cool although I didn't see a normal screw type bleeder, and a video I was watching suggested cracking the last pipe off, which confused me as surely that would let air in as opposed to out? 🤔

·
Registered
71 Posts
The slave has an outlet next to where main piping goes in that I usually put piece of silicone tubing over.

Then you release the outer metal clip ( there’s 2) and pull clutch pipe out to bleed.

The 2nd clip keeps pipe from coming fully off and access’s the bleeding point

Strange setup which is why it’s difficult to bleed normally and you need vacuum/pressure bleeder

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The slave has an outlet next to where main piping goes in that I usually put piece of silicone tubing over.

Then you release the outer metal clip ( there’s 2) and pull clutch pipe out to bleed.

The 2nd clip keeps pipe from coming fully off and access’s the bleeding point

Strange setup which is why it’s difficult to bleed normally and you need vacuum/pressure bleeder

Tha ks very much mate! My vacumm bleeder is a bit naff but works eventually... Ideally I'd prefer a pressure bleeder 🤔

Yes that's a strange set up, can't say I've seen it before

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s bloody french!

One piece of advice, the pipe you fit to slave needs to be damn tight fit as system draws back something chronic on a vacuum bleed which is why I prefer pressure.

It’s a funny size, I forced a 4mm ID silicone on and small tie wrap then bled it.

I usually take slave off and use a simple clamp during process to force piston back and keep it there to get rid of any residual air.

Be careful if pumping pedal during this as slave fragile and can crack easy, as I found out!!

Once you get idea of what to do it’s literally 5 mins start to finish

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s bloody french!

One piece of advice, the pipe you fit to slave needs to be damn tight fit as system draws back something chronic on a vacuum bleed which is why I prefer pressure.

It’s a funny size, I forced a 4mm ID silicone on and small tie wrap then bled it.

I usually take slave off and use a simple clamp during process to force piston back and keep it there to get rid of any residual air.

Be careful if pumping pedal during this as slave fragile and can crack easy, as I found out!!

Once you get idea of what to do it’s literally 5 mins start to finish

Ahh OK so gentle even pressure when pumping pedal..

Luckily I service chainsaws and garden machines a bit so have varying tubes hanging around.... In fact the bleeder end supplied with my kit is crap so often go straight on with it as it let's air past so it looks as tho there's air coming out but it's just drawing off the fitting.... Hey ho.

I hate bleeding hydraulics.... At my old place we repaired plant machines but replaced a break assembly on a transit.... Every method known was used and it just wouldn't purge.... Abs issue.... So we used obd2 and eventually it went...

Bloody things!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You don’t need to pump pedal. Leave it up

What I do is get everything set up -

1 - bleed from slave using pressure or vacuum to get most of air out

2 - When think most or all out, leave bleed open and push pedal down and let it stay there

3 - close and then clamp slave piston back. Bleed again.

4 - once all air out. Close and release slave.

5- Now pump pedal slowly and carefully till it goes hard as you’ll be pushing against slave end point so I usually do this by hand on pedal so I don’t crack it.

6 - once more bleed at slave

7 - put slave back into position and it’s all done.

Never have a problem this way so works for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don’t need to pump pedal. Leave it up

What I do is get everything set up -

1 - bleed from slave using pressure or vacuum to get most of air out

2 - When think most or all out, leave bleed open and push pedal down and let it stay there

3 - close and then clamp slave piston back. Bleed again.

4 - once all air out. Close and release slave.

5- Now pump pedal slowly and carefully till it goes hard as you’ll be pushing against slave end point so I usually do this by hand on pedal so I don’t crack it.

6 - once more bleed at slave

7 - put slave back into position and it’s all done.

Never have a problem this way so works for me.

Awesome thank you so much for your help.. I shall let you know how it goes..
I've got work end to end til the weekend when I will be doing this

Martyn

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'm a bit cheesed off... I had some spare hours from work so decided to fit the master cylinder, to find I'd been sent the wrong part.

The one on the car was differed... in that its high pressure plumbing was at a 90' angle and a call to numerous motor factors gave no help.... It appears the master CYLINDER (2182C4) can only be found at Peugeot at £89+vat

Looks like I'm gonna try local scrap yard first 😂

·
7,854 Posts
That cylinder should be readily available from a motor factor autodoc list about 20 aftermarket manufactures any motor factor should be able to cross reference from any of the listed part numbers 2182C4 but you can use a 218230 in its place

Auto Doc search

1 - 20 of 25 Posts