Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our runaround is a 2002 Peugeot 206, 1.4 petrol automatic.

My main problem is an engine one, the secondary problem is the OBD2 reader won't talk to the car.

The engine will start, but the idle is pretty erratic. Quite spluttery at around the 1k rev mark, but less so if the accelerator is pressed and I get the revs up. This will then deteriorate and the engine will shudder. It will struggle to pull away in either first or reverse, and will stall on the shallowest incline.

I live in a hilly area and managed to get it home the last km or so by going downhill, getting a bit of speed, whacking it in 2nd getting the revs up and keeping a steady pace (and hoping for clear junctions!).

By doing a bit of digging it looks like it may be the sparkplug(s) or the engine coil pack, but without the OBD2 reading I am going blind really. Any easy ways for a layman to check these?

The OBD2 reader powers up when put in the port under the dash, but refuses to talk to the car - I have tried it every way I and still nothing - the pins are fine, it is secure, but it will not work with the engine either on or running. It is only a 20 quid job from Amazon so not expecting miracles but it works fine on the other car (a Ford)

I've read Pugs are sometimes temperamental with these devices, but not sure if that is the case or there is something else it could be? A fuse perhaps?

Any advice on either would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
145 Posts
The engine starts and runs ok but is rough on idle and won't rev up with out a fight,when was the car last serviced?
i would go for a fuel filter/air filter/spark plugs and coil pack/oil and oil filter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The OBD2 reader might not work on 2002 model,i have one that only works on models from year 2005 onwards.Worth a check.

·
12,379 Posts
Needs a proper Planet diagnostic, this is why:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I have an update...

So I got another reader, and got a P0300 code

I checked the coil pack and it 'looks' fine ( i've no idea if there are any cosmetic things you'd notice anyway)

I then thought i'd replace the sparkplugs. I pulled the 2nd one out and it was covered in oil.

Any idea what my next steps are?

I have read about it potentially being a faulty valve cover gasket and/or seals, and I am happy to have a go if it fairly easy enough to do. Any other potential problems? Will these be easy to spot if I lift the cover off?

What about the oil leak? Is it easy enough to get out? It is likely it has gone all the way down since the sparkplug came fully out before I noticed it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts