Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of trying to get a refund from a car dealer because I have a 307 with problems. The car was away for 10 days to have an ecu and bsi fitted. The car was returned and the problem returned a last night. The car had been checked for fault codes and came back with some so I let the dealer know. I told him they'd been cleared and now, as I want a refund, he's saying he wants to inspect the ECU to see if codes have been cleared which may have damaged the ECU!

Is it possible to damage the ecu by clearing codes?

Is it possible to prove an ecu has been damaged by clearing codes?

He wants me to leave the car with him again so the people of his choice can do inspections of the car and ecu. I've said I would accept an inspection, but not by people he chooses.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought. I just have the feeling that if I left the car with him for inspection, he will come back saying that it's been damaged by clearing codes, so it's not his problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what he emailed me earlier -

'After speaking with you today you have asked for a refund on the car you purchased from us.

We will need to see the fault as you described it before we issue any refunds.

We will also run a full inspection on the car including the brand new ECU at a cost to me of £502. This may involve the ECU being read/ looked at by the electronics company that supplied and coded the part. They have much more advanced equipment and can read far more information on the ECU than a normal garage OBD scanner.

Should there be any defects/faults or errors on the ECU that was brand new when we re delivered it to you on 23.02.2017. Or should it show codes having been cleared or wiped which may have caused damage to the ECU that was not done whilst in control of * then * can NOT be held responsible as they were not an authorised or qualified person nor were they from the electronics company that supplied the new coded ECU.

This will also void the warranty that the brand new ECU came with as it was not fixed or looked at by the authorised dealer who fitted the ECU back to the car.

A simple example of this is if you bought a Laptop from Currys and tried to fix it yourself by plugging in diagnostic equipment or taking it apart and then realised you could not fix it your warranty with the Laptop and Currys would be void.

Only highly trained and qualified persons should ever try and communicate with the ECU of a vehicle as it is a very sensitive and complicated piece of equipment.

We can arrange for you to drop the car off to us at a time that is convenient for yourself.'

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
What a lot of bollox :) they spent £500 on an ecu are they mad !!!

They are trying to say whatever codes you cleared may have been something faulty that could in turn damage the ecu this is absolute rubbish there are very few things that can go faulty that can in turn damage the ecu yes there are some but not many !

Would they send out the electronic engineer to read any faults had you asked them no they would not !

What is actually wrong with the car not the codes the actual problem ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it was a run of the mill basic obd reader then no damage can be done. The name says it all. It can only read codes. The part on clearing codes on these "readers" only sends a comment to the ecu to tell it to clear the "log" of codes that have been stored for review. The only damage that could be done with a reader it causing a short.

Now if the car was read with a proper obd cable with the correct planet /diagnosed soft wear then there is potential to do damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reoccurring problem is to do with warning lights flashing and dash instruments not working. The ECU and bsi was replaced because the car would start, but then immediately cut out, unless I kept the key turned. When he returned the car after repair, he said he had tested the car for a day and never saw my problem with the dash, but 'that's just something 307's do. Just pull over and turn the ignition off, then it will reset and start again', like this is an acceptable thing to happen with a car I've just bought!

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine management light and multifunction display don't work either. When I bought the car, I thought the MFD was just a clock so it didn't concern me. Now I'm aware that messages come up on there regarding faults, so I could be missing warnings as well

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
That does not sound like an ecu problem if anything its communication between the BSI and the dash clocks the multifunction display is in the same plug as the dash in the BSI the cutting out/dodgy starting is a separate issue again i doubt thats the ecu either :)

Sounds like the dealer does not know much and relies on EXPERTS to fix issues !

If he thinks 307 dashes regularly cut out he is a total plonker :)

I think your in for a fight :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I can see this whole thing going on for a while!

He's yet to respond to my email regarding an inspection from an impartial garage. I think that it's a reasonable request of mine. Do you think my local Peugeot place would be best to do this?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It is impossible to damage an ECU by using a standard reader to read and clear codes, and it is nonsense to suggest that some special equipment and expertise is required to do that.

I suggest you involve Trading Standards.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm suspicious and don't think he replaced the ECU at all. When you buy a brand new part, it's covered under a warranty. It is not unheard of to receive faulty new parts but what is the chances of both parts to be faulty in the exact same manner and if it is faulty, then it doesn't cost the dealer any money other than time, replacing ECU's isn't all that difficult...I've replaced an ECU for a BMW E90 in a IKEA car park!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will wait to see if he gets back to me about an inspection from a different garage. I suspect he doesn't want that though. Would I be able to tell if the ECU is new, just from looking at it? I'd like to think that he is actually a genuine guy and being honest about replacing the ECU and bsi, so I'm not gonna assume he's lying. But regardless of all that, the car still has problems!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
it sounds to me like the engine light has been removed and the center display disconnected to hide faults with the car.

me personally would take the car to a peugeot dealer for inspection and then write a letter to the seller and include a copy of the peugeot report and give them a bit of time to organise a full refund, make sure you send the letter recorded/special delivery so it has to be signed for and if that dont work then your next option is small claims court along with trading standards, also make him aware of your rights and your intentions

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have stuck a ODBII bluetooth in mine, it does not support it at all and even played with terminal to connect to it.

It has not damaged anything... BUT there is a risk that you can lockout the BSI if it thinks your tampering with it and then you wont be able to start it and thats a big headace.

Maybe he is thinking in that line.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think a Peugeot garage running diagnostics and inspecting the car is probably the best option. I'll probably have to arrange that if I don't get any further with the car dealer through emails.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sadly I think you backed yourself into a corner by admitting to using a code reader, whatever the outcome of the independent inspection, vendor will still say you did the damage. We know that's not the case.
I would get a quotation for the repair from the independent, forward it to the vendor to give him a chance to take the car back, if he doesn't, pay for the repair and make a claim against him in the County Court.
I would also let him have a link to this thread, would be great to have his take on the issue.
Does the garage subscribe to a trade mediation service that you could refer the dispute to?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts