Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have been having issues with a squeal from the engine area around the drivebelt on my 807 2003. I managed to trace the issue to a knackered tensioner pulley that was starting to seize. However, whilst fault finding I found that the alternator pulley spun independant of the shaft in both directions with very little resistance. I have just done some research and found out some models where fitted with a OAD alternator that acts as an overrun to reduce belt load and improve fuel consumption. Not finding any information relative to peugeot fitments I was wondering if it is suppost to spin both direction? Other manufactureres state only a small amount of rotation in drive direction should occur. With the engine running the alternator seems to spin fine even with load. I have noticed a bit of light flickering which I put down to a faulty regulator. I ran the engine though with the belt off and there was no charge light displayed. Could this be a faulty relay? If it was wouldnt I get back charge to the alternator? There is no noise from the alternator and even with a stethoscope I couldnt hear anything noisy and there is no play. What else could cause a charge fault light not to illuminate even with the belt off? Sorry Its a long one. Thanks all.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Alternator on your engine will have a clutch sounds like its faulty it should slip one direction but not both to test you can spin it then stop the pulley you should feel it slip slightly its hard to explain but this should only happen in 1 direction.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you think it's just the alternator pulley that is at fault then no need to swap out the whole alternator, you can buy the pulley on it's own for around £30 for a decent brand like SKF (cheaper ones don't last). You will need a 33 spline tool to take the pulley off but most garages should be able to do this for you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for letting me know this as access to remove looks tight. i have a spline set of tools. There are two sets of splines. In inner and outer. Would i need a hollow one to hold the inner assembly whilst i crack the center bolt? or is there somwhere i can jab a screwdriver to hold the rotor assembly? Cheers.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You need a hollow splined tool, they are about £7 off amazon. Or you can buy the Sealey sx400 tool for about £20, this should be all you need. Can't guarantee you will get the pulley off without removing the alternator from the car though, they can be quite tight. You might need to spin it off with an impact wrench. Can't do any harm to try in the engine bay first though. I think the inner tool you need is a T50 torx but might vary depending on whether it's a Valeo or Bosch alternator.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wouldn't the ECU or whatever it is detect a faulty alternator rather quickly? Are you sure it's not just spinning the way it's supposed to? My alternator didn't have a clutch, and IIRC it spun quite freely.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yes it spins both directions. Seems a new alternator is in order. Thanks for your reply.

Hi,
Did a new Alternator sort the lack of battery light even when not charging?

I have just had the alternator fail on my 2006 807 2.0Hdi, (battery light flicked on and battery system fault flashed on the display a few times that morning, but they both went off again each time, even though the voltage was under 11.7v. (Battery light works with ignition on, but turns off whilst engine turning over before starting).
I changed the alternator for a new unit, and it's now charging perfectly, but on checking the dash light (removing the Aux belt again), the battery light goes out even when no charging and battery drops to 11.3v, and no fault pop up on the display. I checked and the dash light output on the alternator is working as it should, (earth when not charging, live when charging), and it seems the alternator car loom 2pin plug makes no difference if connected or not, (2pin plug, but only 1 wire is used), as no battery light or faults when plugged in or not, when it's charging or not charging).
I have even run a live or earth direct to the 2pin plug pin, which also don't change anything.

So I'm thinking its either a issue with the wire or the control unit. (Assuming a secondary feed is put to the battery light with ignition on to test its function?). (I have cleared faults done a BSI reset also).

Has anyone experience this?
Or have a wiring diagram to make it easier to trace?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never got to the bottom of it as I replaced the whole alternator. The headlight flickering did stop after that so I guess it was the regulator that was failing. I guess as long as your getting 14.2v ish once running then you can be sure its charging. I believe that the output for the charge detection is a positive supply so checking with a multimeter would tell you. The message for battery fault is when the voltage drops to a certain voltage I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. When I had the same I had error Battery voltage too low logged on the scan or something. Mine is unlikely to get back on the road after throwing a rod on the motorway so I couldn't even check to confirm. I don't think the ECU reads the info from the charge wire but only detects battery voltage when the engine is running. I cant see any option for alternator charge output just overall voltage. I guess if you left the alternator disconnected for long enough eventually the battery light will come on once the battery drops below 10v ish. In other words, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Never got to the bottom of it as I replaced the whole alternator. The headlight flickering did stop after that so I guess it was the regulator that was failing. I guess as long as your getting 14.2v ish once running then you can be sure its charging. I believe that the output for the charge detection is a positive supply so checking with a multimeter would tell you. The message for battery fault is when the voltage drops to a certain voltage I believe (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. When I had the same I had error Battery voltage too low logged on the scan or something. Mine is unlikely to get back on the road after throwing a rod on the motorway so I couldn't even check to confirm. I don't think the ECU reads the info from the charge wire but only detects battery voltage when the engine is running. I cant see any option for alternator charge output just overall voltage. I guess if you left the alternator disconnected for long enough eventually the battery light will come on once the battery drops below 10v ish. In other words, don't worry about it.

Thank you for your reply.
but, it's not a case of don't worry about it, the battery light is meant to come on when not charging, (so under 13+volts), So awaiting till it drops to 10v can not only damage a battery, it can cause car systems to shut down, which if still driving, (as the battery light hasn't come on yet), isn't really a good situation.
If your right about the battery system fault only popping up at real low voltage, I'll be surprised, as there would be no reason for it not to be programmed to come up at 12.6-13.4v whilst the engine is running, and this could be done off the BSI imput feeds or anywhere there isn't too much power drop, not just the alternator exciter/dash light wire.

I do understand how alternators and charging works, (working as a mechanic for years), but I was more asking about peugeot known faults, if the BSI unit controls the battery light and if not, a wiring diagram to save time trying to trace the fault.

Ps, you shouldn't disconnect the alternator battery cable when it's fitted, as it can fry the alternator, removing the belt is the safe way to check the alternator.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
No, the BSI is directly connected to the alternator, BUT the arrow points towards the alternator, implying that this is an alternator control signal. (On my 206, the alternator is shown connected to both the ECU and the BSI, which is why I think the omission is significant)

It is not possible to discern whether an alternator dash light feed is present, as the SEDRE only shows connections, and many signals are multiplexed, so feeds just enter a processor symbol, and the function is obscure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do understand how alternators and charging works, (working as a mechanic for years), but I was more asking about peugeot known faults, if the BSI unit controls the battery light and if not, a wiring diagram to save time trying to trace the fault.
Sorry I didn't mean to offend as I didn't know your background I decided that one detailed post would be better than several. The battery illumination symbol I believe is linked to any number of battery/power related faults and is not directly linked to the alternator via a direct feed. The illumination is controlled by the BSI. On Planet there is a absence of any charge detection other than voltage that I can find. I ran mine without the alternator fitted (as in completely removed not unplugged) and I had no light either. Your right its crazy that it appears that no charge failure monitoring was fitted. As regards known faults its an 807 and its one big electrical fault but I loved mine when it was on the road. The windows on mine used to randomly go down on their own and the only way to get them back up was to stop, switch off the ignition, lock and unlock. The 10v was based on my tests and no fault was logged at 11.6v (Running voltage without alternator charge and a naff battery) but it may be as high as 11-11.6v I guess. As you rightly say at 10v battery damage would begin if not rectified quickly and you are at risk of systems shut down including steering lock activation, road light failure and more. Glad its charging ok now though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to offend as I didn't know your background I decided that one detailed post would be better than several. The battery illumination symbol I believe is linked to any number of battery/power related faults and is not directly linked to the alternator via a direct feed. The illumination is controlled by the BSI. On Planet there is a absence of any charge detection other than voltage that I can find. I ran mine without the alternator fitted (as in completely removed not unplugged) and I had no light either. Your right its crazy that it appears that no charge failure monitoring was fitted. As regards known faults its an 807 and its one big electrical fault but I loved mine when it was on the road. The windows on mine used to randomly go down on their own and the only way to get them back up was to stop, switch off the ignition, lock and unlock. The 10v was based on my tests and no fault was logged at 11.6v (Running voltage without alternator charge and a naff battery) but it may be as high as 11-11.6v I guess. As you rightly say at 10v battery damage would begin if not rectified quickly and you are at risk of systems shut down including steering lock activation, road light failure and more. Glad its charging ok now though.

Hello, Sorry for delay, I thought I replied at the time, but just noticed I didn't. No worries, I didn't take affence, and cheers for the information.
I didn't resolve the battery light issue, as was planning to to look into it when it was plugged in a friends Diag box next, but that hasn't happened yet. Mean while I fitted a dash volt display, to keep a eye on it that way, and was going to fit a extra battery light, but that's another thing I've not got round too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts