Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two posts in the same day,54 plate 407 SW
The wife broke down on the motorway the car just cut out and the lights failed, By the time I had got there she had checked the battery connections and the negative terminal was loose.
Retightened the connection, the engine cranks and the lights work but it will not fire so i had the car recovered to home.
I'm going to follow the 3 minute rule and try again to start it tomorrow or could it be something more serious.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Two posts in the same day,54 plate 407 SW
The wife broke down on the motorway the car just cut out and the lights failed, By the time I had got there she had checked the battery connections and the negative terminal was loose.
Retightened the connection, the engine cranks and the lights work but it will not fire so i had the car recovered to home.
I'm going to follow the 3 minute rule and try again to start it tomorrow or could it be something more serious.
if you get in the car and try start then turn ignition off but do not remove the key from the ignition and then open the drivers door, if the car beeps to say you left the key in that fine its still seeing the key if not then it is not seeing the key and chances are its spiked the bsi but could get away with reprogramming

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trustme, tried what you suggested, the car is seeing the key.
The car has fuel and cranks ok but will not start.
I dont know if it's a crankshaft/camshaft sensor fault and as i don't have the equipment to test for this so it's a trip to the garage.
And just to add insult to injury I cant close the drivers window since disconnecting the battery to put it on charge.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Trustme, tried what you suggested, the car is seeing the key.
The car has fuel and cranks ok but will not start.
I dont know if it's a crankshaft/camshaft sensor fault and as i don't have the equipment to test for this so it's a trip to the garage.
And just to add insult to injury I cant close the drivers window since disconnecting the battery to put it on charge.
you need it on planet or diagbox is there not a member near you

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
If key is ok then it needs to go on planet but do not dismiss the belt

in live data on planet check for cam and crank sync if yes belt fine if no either belt jumped broke or cam/crank sensor fault but as above it may simply be a wiring issue.

If you tow it in gear it will come out economy mode long enough for you to wind up window.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nearest member is in Swansea and I live near Cardiff.
A friend of my son has a Snap-on diagnostic scanner, hopefully that will find the fault.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
your not wanting fault codes you want live data checking cranking speed cam and crank sync and fuel pressure but snap on stuff will do it just uses different terminology for some things

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Discovered the problem, bits of the camshaft drive lobs for the high pressure fuel pump have snapped off, ie not delivering fuel.
Thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts