Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone long time no see

Wanted to see if anyone has experienced the problem I've been having.

Peugeot 307 2.0 hdi 2003

No start issue not battery its new not starter I've had it off to bench test and I can emulate the ignition by shorting the starter and the car starts immediately and the engine turns over therefore not immobiliser.

I think it's the ignition switch but I can't quite identify how I can diagnose I know there is a fuse on the circuit but I can't see any blown fuses

When the key is turned no click no 12 volt to starter actuator

Any leads I'd be appreciative I don't think there is any starter relay

·
5,894 Posts
Connect test lamp to starter solenoid and see it it lights when key turned, also worth checking main body earth is clean, tight, connected (you could also try jump lead from battery earth to good earth point on engine to see what happens and eliminate earth fault)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
According to haynes, there is a 30A Maxi Fuse that protects the starter solenoid feed labelled MF7 in the underbonnet fusebox. If this has blown it would prevent starting. This feeds the ignition switch at pin 1 and when cranking the engine comes out of the ignition switch on pin 3.

If you have 12- 14 volts on pin 1 the fuse is good. Turning the key to crank the engine should switch 12-14 volts onto pin 3 which the goes to the solenoid via the main fusebox going into the fuse box on pin1 and coming out on pin 3 then onto the started motor solenoid.

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
The underbonnet fusebox also has a fuse that is connected to the starter solenoid circuit in some models but in typical french fashion it is not labelled as such !

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok everyone.

I know there is not a fuse fault. I have found that it is intermittent and starts after a few tries.

But here's the clue I was testing the starter cable on the ignition and I get 12v when the key is turned and low and behold it starts! I think it starts because I have grounded to the chassis and tried the key. Intermittent start when I take this away.

Issue just on the starter circuit all other electrics OK.

Any other Ideas to test anything?

FYI i have changed the starter deffo not the starter

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Ok everyone.

I know there is not a fuse fault. I have found that it is intermittent and starts after a few tries.

But here's the clue I was testing the starter cable on the ignition and I get 12v when the key is turned and low and behold it starts! I think it starts because I have grounded to the chassis and tried the key. Intermittent start when I take this away.

Issue just on the starter circuit all other electrics OK.

Any other Ideas to test anything?

FYI i have changed the starter deffo not the starter
bad engine earth

·
Registered
101 Posts
just because the earth wire is connected to the gearbox does not mean it is making a good connection ! take the wire off and clean the terminal along with the bolt head , do the same with the body earth wire too

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
To be honest im reading it that sometimes you get power at the trigger wire on the ignition switch and sometimes you dont if so its unlikely to be an earth issue it may just be the switch they do go bad sometimes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems to work everytime when I ground the circuit on the ignition switch and car chassis very strange.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone I have diagnosed the fault. its the ignition barrel it works intermittently when force is applied against the key in different directions.

I believe there was a product recall for this anyone aware of the requirements for this recall. DVLA doesnt give much information

Recall Details for PEUGEOT - 307

1 - 13 of 13 Posts