Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right where to start,firstly I have a 406 diesel which has been stood for a couple of months.
Now it wont start,battery fully charged,engine turns over but wont start.

Fuel up to the rail and up to the injectors (loosend the pipe and cranked engine fuel came out)

Tried a sniff of easy start and it fired but would not run.

As the 406 is new to me does any one have any suggestions please.:confused:

I dont have any fault codes yet as I dont have a reader.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
DONT open injectors to check fuel on common rail engines as this reduces the fuel pressure to zero and the ecu then stops the engine as it thinks there is a leak.

Key have you done ANYTHING to the key ?

coding is the key recognised this is the most likely problem next most likely problem is wiring under drivers carpet

Check the basics first dont go straight for the fuel system this is generally the least likely :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DONT open injectors to check fuel on common rail engines as this reduces the fuel pressure to zero and the ecu then stops the engine as it thinks there is a leak.

Key have you done ANYTHING to the key ?

coding is the key recognised this is the most likely problem next most likely problem is wiring under drivers carpet

Check the basics first dont go straight for the fuel system this is generally the least likely :)
Ok Thanks for that,So what can I do if it is the key or to prove it is or isnt??

It is a straight forward key it has no buttons on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Search the forum for non starting and the info is repeated constantly :)
I may be extremely thick but I have done a search but cant seem to find anything specific.

To reiterate,The car has stood for a couple of months,When we came to start it the stater motor was not working so it was removed and repaired(cleaned)when the starter was put back on it worked OK But the car would not start.

With a sniff of Easy Start it would run for a couple of seconds and then stop .

The key with the car does not have any buttons on it so would this have an Immobiliser fitted??? .

Any ideas any one,other than to check the wiring under the carpet?

Spartacus:confused:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
key in ignition turn on turn off leave key in open door car should beep.

Is there a key symbol on dash with a cross through it

Yes it has an immobiliser hence the key questions if you have no buttons on the key it may be an unchipped one hence it wont start

Age engine size power output are all relevant for diagnosis as there are at least 6 different engines and early cars have a keypad immobiliser system but ALL have immobilisers but im guessing since you mention rail its an HDI

This question regarding key in door open beep beep is asked daily you must have seen a mention of it in a thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
key in ignition turn on turn off leave key in open door car should beep.

Is there a key symbol on dash with a cross through it

Yes it has an immobiliser hence the key questions if you have no buttons on the key it may be an unchipped one hence it wont start

Age engine size power output are all relevant for diagnosis as there are at least 6 different engines and early cars have a keypad immobiliser system but ALL have immobilisers but im guessing since you mention rail its an HDI

This question regarding key in door open beep beep is asked daily you must have seen a mention of it in a thread.
Hello again.
Thanks for the prompt reply,

The car belongs to a friend so I am unsure of the engine size ect.

But it has just come to light that they mislaid the original key and have tried using a spare (The one with no buttons)So maybe this is the problem as I dont know if they have used/started the car with this key.

As I have said Peugeot's are new to me so do not fully understand the workings of the system.

I will endevour to get them to find the original key and see what happens then.

Thanks again for the help and will let you know what happens.

PS It does not appear to have a sepearate key pad for an Immobiliser.

John

G

·
0 Posts
Hi John, you need the original key to start the car - it has a little transponder chip in the corner inside the case which is paired with the car - no chip, no start.

As reliable says, if their is no chime noise if you open the drivers door with the key left in the ignition, then the key isn't paired with the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi John, you need the original key to start the car - it has a little transponder chip in the corner inside the case which is paired with the car - no chip, no start.

As reliable says, if their is no chime noise if you open the drivers door with the key left in the ignition, then the key isn't paired with the car.
OK an update,

My friend has found the original key with buttons.Have tried it with this key and it will not start,The engine will turn over but will not fire up It is the same with either key.

I have tried the switch on/switch off open door and there are no chimes..:confused:

So would assume the key is not paired to the car,Next question how do you pair it??

I have checked the battery in the fob and it is showing a full 3volts.And the spare key the one without the buttons does have a transponder in it.

When you press the buttons on the key it does nothing no clicks,tones or anything.

Would it make any difference if the battery has been removed to charge it up ?

Starting to get a bit peed of with this car lol

Spratacus

PS it is a 2003 year.

G

·
0 Posts
It seems like the car has forgotten the sync with the keys, this can happen if the battery dies or is disconnected abruptly....

Your best bet is to contact a member here that could re-sync your keys, for beer tokens.

If you go to this page - http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/off-topic-3/need-20-posts-before-pm-72601/index462.html - and do 20 random posts, you will then be able to send a forum member near you a Private message for help.

The map of PP2000 users is here - www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=54.265224,-3.383789&spn=10.238651,28.54248&msa=0&mid=1bBtaE8HU735jt9sS9DbgNlsxGuk

Also, if you add your location to your profile on the left, someone may chip in and offer some help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems like the car has forgotten the sync with the keys, this can happen if the battery dies or is disconnected abruptly....

Your best bet is to contact a member here that could re-sync your keys, for beer tokens.

If you go to this page - http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/off-topic-3/need-20-posts-before-pm-72601/index462.html - and do 20 random posts, you will then be able to send a forum member near you a Private message for help.

The map of PP2000 users is here - www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=54.265224,-3.383789&spn=10.238651,28.54248&msa=0&mid=1bBtaE8HU735jt9sS9DbgNlsxGuk

Also, if you add your location to your profile on the left, someone may chip in and offer some help.
Thank you very much for the reply will see if I can do 20 random post's.

My location is the problem it is in France which you may think it would be easy being a French car But i am very sceptical about French Garages..

I am coming over to the UK next week so what would I need to bring with me if I could have the key paired to the immobiliser??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
he has the links above but yet chooses to ignore them and post rubbish in the forum and for that reason i am providing no help to this guy
trustme,I am sorry that I have caused you a problem but I understood that I needed to post 20 "Random" posts before I could send a PM to a member.

I have obviously misunderstood what I needed to do so I apologise to all concerned

As I needed to contact someone as a matter of urgency I wrongly assumed this would be the way to do it as I saw a previous thread by DJquickfit with a similar theme/

My apologies again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You cannot bring anything to be coded it must be done on the car having said that it could be done on a DIFFERENT car but its not really worth the aggro.
OK thanks for the reply,As the car and myself are in France I thought that I may have been able to bring any parts with me when I come over next week.

Also I have been trying to contact a member on here who lives in France who according to this site is able to Sync keys to Immobilisers.

Will have to see if he replies.

regards

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where in France are you? I can ask around if you like...?
Thanks for the reply

I am in central Brittany so It would need to be a mobile co as the car wont start.

There is according to the site a member who it looks like not to far away but I have had no reply from him as yet,But if you know of any one that would be great.

S

G

·
0 Posts
I am part of a 406 group on Facebook, and also a group based in France.
If you can give me a town or city I'll see who is nearby.
Kelv.

G

·
0 Posts
Do you also have a 4 digit pin code somewhere in the user manual or history, it's a sort of credit card affair.
You need this code to access the menu to code the keys, for security reasons.
If not it's available online for about £20

1 - 20 of 28 Posts