Peugeot Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hi guys
Ok....the guy repaired a wire which was broken in the loom near the rear of the engine, but made no difference. He tested the battery and the reading was 75% but it also said replace battery. So I bought another battery but still had the same problem. He tested the drop when it was cranked over and it dropped to as low as 7, is this significant? The next thing he is going to do is to replace the new starter with a new replacement. That's were we are up to now. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
What circuit was the wire related to? Did he not test the battery as was with a load tester then? Yes turning it over will load the battery to some extent but as I advised earlier you need to use a load tester to get real results. The starter MIGHT be the culprit though. Lets hope so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
What circuit was the wire related to? Did he not test the battery as was with a load tester then? Yes turning it over will load the battery to some extent but as I advised earlier you need to use a load tester to get real results. The starter MIGHT be the culprit though. Lets hope so.
Cheers mad He didn't say what the wire was connected with and he didn't load test the battery while I was there. When the battery is load tested what will the figures point to? Problems with the battery or does the draw down figure point to something else? Thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Ok....changing the battery and starter motor appears to have PARTIALLY solved the problem. The car now starts but not without the ignition key cranking the engine over without starting car. It does this once or twice and then the car starts straight away. This is the problem the car started with except the battery does not appear dead. Any clues?
Cheers.
Oh...I took the battery that showed 'replace battery' on the reader back to the shop, he tested it an it said 'battery ok'. Took it to another shop to test it and it also said battery was ok, strange.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You soon will have your own tester so you can check it yourself! I assume that battery was of the correct cranking capability for your engine! Diesel engines are heavy users and so they need to be the correct one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You soon will have your own tester so you can check it yourself! I assume that battery was of the correct cranking capability for your engine! Diesel engines are heavy users and so they need to be the correct one.
Hi mad
No, personally I didn't believe the original battery was up to the job of cranking a diesel, although I did give the shop guy my reg number and he assured me it was for a 1.6 hdi. The new one that was put on has much more powerful cranking amps. The car has cranked over twice and then started but it has also started first time, very intermittent fault. Any other ideas what could cause that? Cheers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Also, I have just tested the old battery the car....it goes to the maximum on the green section when just connected and to the other side of the green section when under load. Jesus doesn't the tester get hot!!! 🙂

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Yes it is a dead short in fact. Thats how it proves the battery condition. That is far more than a starter takes from it. For a diesel I would take that as OK myself starting after a couple of cranks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Ok, the car starts...sometimes first time, sometimes second time and sometimes it takes six times for the engine to crank over before it starts. Where can the problem be that the 'message' isnt getting to wherever for it to fire first time? It's like the key isnt communicating correctly with wherever. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It is not seeing a fault as far as it is concerned because all of the circuits are working OK. They just monitor what they register and actual burning and turning by it self is not one of them I assume!

·
3,175 Posts
I think 'live data' is now needed...just to check the cranking speed and fuel pressure..if it doesnt crank fast enough there will not be enough fuel pressure to start

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It is not seeing a fault as far as it is concerned because all of the circuits are working OK. They just monitor what they register and actual burning and turning by it self is not one of them I assume!
Thanks mad
If the engine just cranks over without starting does that normally indicate that there is a problem with the key losing its code or whatever and this prevents theft by not starting the engine? But then the engine starts so all of a sudden it recognises code? It is so intermittent 🙁

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I think 'live data' is now needed...just to check the cranking speed and fuel pressure..if it doesnt crank fast enough there will not be enough fuel pressure to start
Thanks noddy
The cranking speed is very good as many times that you crank it over. Dont know how to measure fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The live readings are the way to go but you could maybe try disconnecting all the plugs that feed the engine, contact clean them and refit them to see if maybe one was not always making contact and then the vibration of the starter enabled it to work. I know its a long shot but it will cost you nothing!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Many thanks to noddy and mad
What I plan to do next is to get someone local to me with PP to get me the live data required and see where we go from there, many thanks 👍

61 - 79 of 79 Posts