Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer as to where to start.

2004 1.4 petrol 307 been running fine, started yesterday, albeit there was a change of mind and the better half didn't go out so she swithched off and all was fine. Went to go out today and it initially fired as if it was starting but didn't, thereafter simply not firing but plenty of juice in the battery turning it over (likewise in the tank).

With modern electronics I am at a bit of a loss as to where to begin. Are there any recommended first steps, or diagnosis procedures I can determine the fault by?

Thanks,

Walker

·
5,886 Posts
Some cars are known to flood when switched off soon after a cold start (Jag are known for it) often holding the accelerator pedal to the floor when restarting can clear it or you may need to whip out plugs and dry/clean

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Windy, tried your suggestion and no joy. I have the feeling it is electrical, however with modern electronics I am a bit unsure how to check the system. Is there an inexpensive diagnostic unit, or any tricks know to others?

Cheers,

Still Walker!

·
5,886 Posts
Best would be to find some one on the planet map to hook up car to see live data. Other than that its a matter of going through things in a logical sequence.

Does car chime if you turn ign on/off leave key in ign and open drivers door (if no imoboiliser fault likely eg) dropped key/lost chip or coil around ign barrel etc.

Does it sound the same or spin over faster (possible cam belt check under top cam cover or if you can see cam under oil filler cap is it turning)

if OK above when cranking does rev counter (if fitted) flick slightly (possible crank sensor etc)

Is there fuel pressure at fuel rail (tyre type valve on rail can be used to check) if no fuel pump and/or fuse.

Is there a spark (old set of plugs fitted to coil pack etc and grounded on engine to check)

If all above OK should go?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now then, car is getting a spark plenty of fuel pressure etc etc, but still won't start. Then further messing around and it turns over and over and over and eventually starts. Give it a 50 mile run and all is OK.

So the car is currently running, but not sure what will happen tomorrow morning.

Thinking it through it was as if I was trying to start a car without pulling the choke. How do modern cars ensure enough fuel gets there when cold? Is there a temp sensor that could be sending the message it is warm when in fact it is cold and therefore not enough fuel is being delivered?

On another point I noticed a month or so ago that a message came up on the display advising Economy Mode, any idea what this is?

Cheers,

Walker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts