Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 54 plate 307 SW refuses to start in the morning without the aid of quickstart. After a few miles running I can start all day with no problem. Have had a new relay fitted so it's not that. If it is glow plugs any idea how much it will cost to have them replace? OR could it be something else???

·
Registered
453 Posts
Assuming that its a diesel (you mention glow plugs) fuel may be draining back down the fuel line a little and the easy start is enough to run the engine and get the fuel back up.
Check the lines for a pin hole

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
It is NOT the glowplugs dont waste your time on them you dont say WHAT diesel engine there are at least 5 flavours ! but the most likely thing is a leaky injector or a leak in the fuel pipes depends on what flavour your engine is as to which it is.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As Reliable says above ref glow plugs.
If you have a priming bulb on the top of the engine (or even elsewhere depending on which engine is fitted) try squeezing it 15 - 20 times or until it becomes "firm" before start up.
If this makes starting much easier then a "drain back" looks likely.
Got to be worth a try as Easy start can become an addiction to engines as it can break piston rings thus necessitating the constant need to start up using the stuff even once the original fault is cured

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
When was fuel filter last changed and what is engine rpm when cranking as starter could be weak

Glow plugs are not needed to start on hdi engine they are only needed if you have a dpf filter

·
Registered
101 Posts
my 136bhp hdi with 77k on the clock has been a bitch to start for the last 18 months , colder it was the harder it was to start with loads of smoke , all sorts of tests were done on the fuel system / injectors fuel pump etc , egr valve tested , pug even upgraded the software on the ecu (siemens sid 803)
glow plugs were tested and all within spec
AS IT TURNED OUT THE FAULT WAS THE GLOW PLUGS !
son of a bitch to get at involving radiator out and engine mountings off to enable to rotate it forward
THE GLOW PLUGS fitted were bosch ones and all appeared to glow red when powered up ,however OEM Pug ones were then fitted, they seemed to glow even brighter and that cured it !
Diesel man i spoke to suggested that maybe the ecu pulses the things and the bosch ones were not up to it

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
my 136bhp hdi with 77k on the clock has been a bitch to start for the last 18 months , colder it was the harder it was to start with loads of smoke , all sorts of tests were done on the fuel system / injectors fuel pump etc , egr valve tested , pug even upgraded the software on the ecu (siemens sid 803)
glow plugs were tested and all within spec
AS IT TURNED OUT THE FAULT WAS THE GLOW PLUGS !
son of a bitch to get at involving radiator out and engine mountings off to enable to rotate it forward
THE GLOW PLUGS fitted were bosch ones and all appeared to glow red when powered up ,however OEM Pug ones were then fitted, they seemed to glow even brighter and that cured it !
Diesel man i spoke to suggested that maybe the ecu pulses the things and the bosch ones were not up to it
Hdi engines do not need glow plugs to start so it was not directly the glow plugs that caused it but maybe something you to when you changed them that caused it

If you don't belive me then unplug your glow plug relay and try start it

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Agree with above the glowplugs are not what cured the starting issue either something else was fixed during fitting glowplugs by accident possibly OR the new glowplugs draw less current leaving more in the battery to turn the engine.

Glowplugs only glow for a fraction of a second in normal weather so new ones would make no difference starter issues are by far the most common non start issue the engine turns just a little too slow as the starter gets old and worn.

If indeed the replacement glowplugs have helped then i think you are in for a return to hard starting when the cold comes back as they are masking the real issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts