Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls basically as the title states we have a non starter. Car broke down due to belt snap Christmas Eve, yes not happy having to be recovered home on Christmas Eve but thank god for children otherwise I wouldn't have made it. Anyways the cause was the alternator pulley had slipped out maybe due to a bearing so as the belt snaps all power was lost and we have since had a economy mode non starter. I've come across so many threads similar to this so far in my researching and I'm at a point where I'm either ready to purchase pp2000 or scrap, things I have done so far include

-Lined alternator and and put on a belt just to try to start engine to get out of Eco mode
-checked bsi and ecu for damage but all good
-fully charged battery
-tried diagnostics but program said failed to find ecu I'm guessing because I need pp2000
-bsi reboot didn't work
-no warnings on display

Passenger window stuck down, central locking and boot work along with lights, red flashing on key dash which leads me to believe it may recoding and it beeps with door open. No damage to cam from belt snap either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I decide to spend more money on the car as it's been a great everyday runner until this break down, I mean I use it daily for work and horse duties to the farm for the past 14months so it hasn't done too bad..Peugeot 307 hdi 2002

Regards
Laura

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
No damage to cam does NOT MEAN the cam belt has not jumped teeth this is BY FAR the most likely explanation everything else is a symptom and can be ignored it will all sort itself once engine fires

Check timing properly by pinning the cam and crank or reading syncronisation data on diagnostics my bet is timing has jumped.

Just so we are clear the aux belt coming off in itself would not make the car stop unless it wraps round the timing belt an engine can run for a while without an alternator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input :)
I will have a look at that, is it a difficult job putting it back? Could it have damaged anything else? The belt wire was wrapped around the pulleys so you could be spot on :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The "failed to find ecu" problem could be immobiliser related, had this before. It would be worth trying to get someone local that has PP2000 to give it a diagnostic scan to make sure all is well.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
as said above check the timing, mine snapped top of my street one sunday afternoon I had a spare aux belt as I like to keep some spare parts about as
I make use of euro car parts deals and other motorfactors ect,

removed the broken belt to find abit was stuck at the bottom crank removed
the covers and checked it was out one tooth and the computer also came up sync error after it was retimed it started first flick of the key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info guys, so I'm going to look at the timing today and if it's still not starting I will look into immobiliser tomorrow :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update-car has been in garage and still hasn't started. The timing was out and some of the belt did get sucked in to the engine. Now the mechanic says there is no compression and maybe possible damage to valves? So as it looks it's a spares and repairs sale before I end up paying more than the car is worth to get it going again!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Update-car has been in garage and still hasn't started. The timing was out and some of the belt did get sucked in to the engine. Now the mechanic says there is no compression and maybe possible damage to valves? So as it looks it's a spares and repairs sale before I end up paying more than the car is worth to get it going again!
what engine is it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't a clue to be honest, mechanic says a few things are different from original, valves, pistons etc are all apparently damaged from the fan belt.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
VF33ERHYB82448672
Reg KV02ZRG
307 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 90 Manual gearbox 5

because you have hdi engine, it has fail safe and does not damage the valves it takes out the rocker bearings, if your mechanic does not know this then i would use a mechanic that knows how to do his job

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
VF33ERHYB82448672
Reg KV02ZRG
307 5 DOOR ESTATE 2.0 HDi 90 Manual gearbox 5

because you have hdi engine, it has fail safe and does not damage the valves it takes out the rocker bearings, if your mechanic does not know this then i would use a mechanic that knows how to do his job
Ok sounds like I will have to, is it an easy job to repair rocker bearings? Costly?

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
Your mechanic does not have a clue this is an easy fix the head does not need to come off it has NO BENT VALVES only the rockers are damaged replace rockers refit belt and voila engine starts i have done these in the dark at the roadside in the past i always carry a belt and rockers on long journeys and it saved me once :)

2 hours work for someone who knows what they are doing

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My long experience tells me the 'mechanic' does in fact know what he is doing, he is relying on ignorance on the owner's part to allow him to to absolutely milk the situation for all it is worth...

Most mechanics largely like lawyers, if their lips are moving, they are lying...

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
Yes that is true but some are also very ignorant and genuinely think they are right :)

I have sold stuff in past where mechanic said part was no good and i have managed in most cases to prove them wrong even charged 1 £50 for having to go to his workshop and start a car he could not start :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update, car still off the road going for spares and repairs, apparently it doesn't have rockers, the fly wheel is fixed and 6 teeth have come off. Part of the belt was found in the engine, no compression in 3 cylinders. Too costly for me to fix! Already got me a 307 petrol but abs sensor has come on! Gotta love peugeot cars!

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
Sorry but thats all bollox i have done loads of these and the belt and new rockers is ALL that is needed could be fixed with £50 of parts

There is NO WAY part of the belt could get IN the engine :)

These are the cars i love buying as the sellers believe the rubbish the garage tells them and i get a bargain !!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts