Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a 307 hdi which won't start in the cold. I have replaced the glow plugs. And the relay. But can't get the relay to activate. I have the permanent live. The other live and an earth, but no signal live from the ecu I think it should be. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah yeah. The car does eventually fire, sorry, just takes it's time. It's starts but doesn't catch if that makes sense then stops. Takes at least 5 or 6 attempts. And as I say can't get the relay to energise?

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
5 or 6 attempts sounds like a fuel issue

forget the glow plugs its not them.

If you really want to convince yourself its not the glow plugs get a thick piece of wire and fit it to the glow plug feed connection then touch the other end to battery positive then try starting it most likely still wont start :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did that. And it didn't start!!!! It has has the fuel filter changed no more than 2 months ago. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
11,725 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When I changed the barttery in my wife's 307 hdi it was because it struggled to start the car.
But it still failed to start. After checking fuel supply, glow plugs, and the starter motor I put yet another battery on. Immediately the car sprung into life with a flick of the key, and it still does 4 years on.
I returned the battery to the motor factors who refunded me, although the faulty battery checked out when they tested it.
It's possible you have a bad battery too.

Roger.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much for the input. Will give this a try. Do u think if I jump it off another car this would simulate a new battery?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dont jump it off another car. U can damage the bsi.

Could be lots of things to be honest,
You can try having a diagnostics done, check the pp2000 map to find someone near you.

Forget the glow plugs, they dont do a lot until it reaches i think like -13c .

Try a different battery. You could have a duff battery.

Make sure the pump is working, when you turn the key to the second position you should hear a faint noise like an electric motor starting, its only on for a second or so, so you have to really listen out for it.

Does the car run at all? What were the symptoms? Was it just a slow start in the cold? Try to give us as much info as poss

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was really all the symptoms to be honest. Car was hard to start. Takes around 4 or 5 attempts. Then runs fine. Might be coincidental with winter just coming. Tried priming with the hand primer today and starting but still no joy. Took around 4 attempts. But did go.

So turn the key to pre heat basically, before crank, and listen for a pump. Will do.

The car once started is fine. It's seems to give a puff of smoke from the exhaust when started. Pulled the leak offs off the top of the injectors to c if 1 was faulty. And they were fine. That was recommended by a friend.

Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
14,276 Posts
you DO NOT have a tank pump if you have a hand primer !!!!

Siemens primer no tank pump

Bosch no primer with tank pump

Leak offs are not on top of injectors if you have a siemens system

Siemens leak offs go in the side bosch go in the top

G

·
0 Posts
Ah, so there are possibilities the hand priming bulb has teeny tiny holes which is letting air into the fuel system over night...??

Check the connections around the bulb too.

Its just a hunch, but if you have a mate/partner etc to crank the car while you prime with the bulb it may start easier.

Reliable is correct, no bulb means there is in-tank pump ( it does the same job as the bulb but electrically ), if you have a bulb then you have no in-tank pump.

Did you do the leak off test properly, there are videos on youtube for instructions..:thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok that makes a bit more sense. Will try and get a hand to pump the primer tommorow.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I done it right? But will have a look at the videos.

Sorry your right again, they were on the side.

Can't thank yous enough for this help. If there are any other checks you can think of let me know. ��

1 - 20 of 28 Posts