Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange noise coming from the rear of my 406 hdi estate, It sounds like a droning sound that is at its loudest at around 60 mph, however, it does change with bumps in the road. Could this be the drop link arms at the rear, I have replaced the rear left recently as broke, or is it a wheel bearing or similar?
ANy assistance would be appreciated

·
Registered
241 Posts
a droning sounds would most likely be a wheel bearing...
when parked up ,engine off, put it in gear release the handbrake and try to rock/wobble the rear wheels(the handbrake hides the symptoms till released)
the bearings might not be too loose at this point so only other way is to jack it up with the wheel free so you can spin it to see if it does it.
good luck
neil:thumb:

G

·
0 Posts
I agree.

The bearings/hub is a complete unit, about £45 from a decent motor factors.

You need one with 48 teeth ( for the ABS ) and the nut that holds the bearing/hub on is 40mm.

If you need to give your handbrake some attention, either new shoes or spring fittings etc, its easier to do with the bearing off, so do it at the same time. Its also a good time to paint some zinc type paint all over the ( quite possibly rusty ) back-plates too :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, have changed both rear wheel bearings and still have a droning noise from the rear of the car - surely this can only be bushes right? But which ones anti roll bar, track rod arms drop link arms (although have replaced one already as broken)

Any thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Put your front tyres on the back, and vice versa, as there may be a problem tyre causing the noise.

Its a shame it wasn't the bearings ( sorry... ) but at least you have new ones now which should last a while...:thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
squiking noise while breaking

Hi,my problem is different:if I touch the brakes lightly,a long squiek is audible.If I push hard,there is no or only short noise.Any Ideas?Pete:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts