Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought a 2001 206 1.1 w/ 69k miles. Drove it around sparingly for about a week, and everything was great.

Suddenly, out of the blue, there's a noise - a high-pitched rubbing or scraping sound - that comes whenever the clutch is engaged, in neutral and driving around (doesn't change in tone as you accelerate), and disappears when I press the pedal.

I've seen throwout/release bearing mentioned when the noise happens in the opposite circumstances - when you press the pedal to disengage the clutch. Is it possibly the culprit here, too? I'm hoping to avoid a clutch replacement, as I'm a poor postgrad student.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I'm not a gearbox expert - in fact I've never had much trouble with them. I would say the answer would be to change the gearbox. Some people take a chance on a second-hand box from a breaker, but a better course would be a reconditioned box from a reputable rebuilder, with a guarantee - shop around for quotes.

If you want to try a low cost fix first, check whether the oil is topped up, and perhaps try an oil change, but it sounds like the damage is done.

Did you perhaps get a guarantee from the seller? if so, I would take it back.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks again.

Bought the car from someone I trust who said it had no known problems, and I have no reason to think he knew anything was up, potentially, with the gearbox. Only paid £100 for the car - he pretty much just wanted to give it to someone who would make good use of it.

I'll take it to a shop to see what they think (hopefully can get a diagnosis and estimate for free or low cost), and maybe try a gearbox oil change if they think it's worth it.

Other than that, I'm not going to be able to come up with more than £200-300 to fix it, so I might just have to drive it until it dies, then scrap it. Not sure what other option I have. I'm a postgrad who just came over from the US, so I have no way of getting my hands on a loan/overdraft/etc. to fix it. And because I'm new here, insurance is killing me at £1,100/year (despite having 15 years' experience and a clean record). A shame, as I've taken a real liking to the car after spending an afternoon giving it a cleaning I'm quite proud of.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to a garage today, they took it out for a test drive and apologized and said they think it's input shaft bearing(s), as suspected. I don't like the idea of having a used gearbox put in for £300-400+, so I guess my only real option is to scrap it.

Thanks for your help, though.

9,894 Posts
I would go for input shaft bearing if you handy with tools its a doable diy job and cost about £30 to do if its only the front bearing there are loads of picture guides on the net.

I did my daughters old cars bearing over a weekend on the drive with only a couple of trolley jacks and normal tools

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone happens upon this thread again, I've decided not to part with the car, and to try to save up to have a used gearbox put in, and probably also having the clutch replaced at the same time. I'm hoping that can all be done for less than £400 total including labor, but who knows.

It'll be some time until I come up with that much cash, so if I minimize driving and keep it to local roads, then - if the problem now is the input shaft bearing(s) - is there any concern that I might do damage to parts of the car besides the gearbox if I continue to drive it?

I'm going replacement gearbox and new clutch, anything else I should have done while they're taking all those things apart?

· Registered
2,540 Posts
Hard one to answer. Probably not, if you just potter around gently, but if the shaft were to seize solid (and I don't know whether that is likely) something dramatic might happen to the car (and you).

I would go for a new water pump and timing belt.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - wonder if much of the labor needed to do the timing belt would be done by getting to the gearbox?

So I finally thought it would be a good idea to look under the car. (In my defense, it's only had this problem for a few days, and it's been raining outside a couple of those.) The pictures below seem to show that I've got a gearbox oil leak? I confess that I have no idea what I'm looking at, exactly ...

Attachments

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Right, should have looked earlier. Haven't any tools, though; just moved to the UK. I haven't driven it since the noise started, other than a short trip to the garage (which only test drove; wish they'd have looked too!), so maybe I'll get lucky and will only need a seal replaced or something. I'm sure the pictures tell nothing other than that I've got a leak, but from what I've read it's likely to be a drive shaft seal(s)?

I suppose if it's the joints on the box itself, I should probably just try to find a used gearbox to swap in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.