Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first post so so easy on me :)

I have picked up a 2002 2.0 110Bhp 307 Hdi, it seems fine in all areas except that when under strain setting off, there is a noise from the front of the car that at first sounded like a binding brake caliper but on further inspection it seems to be coming more centrally from the front of the car.

The only thing I can think that it may be is the clutch / release bearing or something in that area, but then again I could be totally wrong.

I know its one of those, you have to see it / hear it type of faults but maybe this is common?

Any help will be appreciated, I'll take it to a garage as soon as I can but it doesn't seem to affect the drive in any way

Thanks for looking

Stephen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

Thanks for your reply,

Its not really a grinding noise, It has a similar sound to when your break pads are shot and they make a kind of squawking noise as if two components are sticking to one another. You can make it louder by putting it under more load.

It does not appear to be directly clutch related, there is no noise when pressing the pedal out of gear and there is no noise whilst driving ( that I have heard)

The only time the noise occurs it is when setting off, hot/ cold makes no difference,

Thanks

Stephen

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Dual Mass Flywheel or A Pain In The Wallet (£1,000)

The flywheel is effectively a weight which is fastened to the end of the crankshaft of the engine. The power from the pistons tends to be created in “pulses” and the weight of the flywheel smoothes out these pulses by providing inertia to the rotating engine. As well as providing a weight the flywheel has a gear around its circumference on which the starter motor operates and is a convenient means of attaching the clutch which provides a variable connection to the transmission.

Modern diesel engines generate high torque and as a result they need extra smoothing out or “damping”. To help with this process a DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) is fitted. This is effectively two flywheels that transmit the drive through a number of springs which cushion the drive to the transmission

1 - 6 of 6 Posts