Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car in question is a '56 plate Peugeot 307 sport with automatic climate control. I've owned it since April and the noise has been getting progressively worse. I've made a video in an attempt to capture the sound:

https://youtu.be/ZX8VDYTeF78

It's a really low intermittent rumble, almost like a loose belt or purring sound. You can feel the very light vibration in the car. It's noticeable when breaking at low speed and when idle. It's an intermittent sound and barely noticeable (if at all) when driving. Fairly recently the drive belt failed while I was driving and it was replaced at the roadside. I hoped that would be the end of the noise hoping it was down to the loose / failing drive belt, unfortunately not. I did take the car to Peugeot who said the new drive belt is fine and at the correct tension.

When I parked up today I decided to turn the A/C off which did seem to stop the noise. I usually leave the climate control on all the time and adjust the temperature based on comfort. Maybe a failing A/C compressor?

The other fault I have experienced twice is the 'STOP' light illuminating with a 'Engine too hot' warning on the trip monitor. The first occasion was the day after Peugeot changed the timing belt. I had only been driving for a minute or so when it appeared and the warning disappeared shortly after. The vehicle has been back to Peugeot since for a 'major' service in May and the 'comprehensive' check gave the car a clean bill of health. The message appeared again today after only driving for a minute or so. The message only appeared for a few seconds before going and the car was driving fine.

Linked? Unrelated?

Thanks for any help :).

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
Seems to me you have diagnosed the noise as it stops when the AC is switched off! Does the temp gauge show too high a temp at all?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The coolant gauge usually stays around the 80 mark and the oil temperature around 100.

Could a failing compressor explain the failed drive belt and two sudden 'engine too hot' warnings?

Will

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Don't panic - don't go shelling out on diagnosis or replacing expensive parts just yet.

Temperature - I've replaced my temp sensor twice - it does give you some warning before it goes completely - the needle swings up into the red momentarily - triggers the temperature too high error and then returns to normal. You see the temperature to high error - but by the time you look at the needle its back to normal.

IMHO the temperature sensor is a weak point - they are cheap and easy to fit - so replace yours before you do anything else :thumb: - mine last 2-3 years.

I wouldn't worry about the a/c noise - leave as is until it becomes a real problem - my a/c is far noisier.

This is based upon my experience with a diesel 307.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Temperature - I've replaced my temp sensor twice - it does give you some warning before it goes completely - the needle swings up into the red momentarily - triggers the temperature too high error and then returns to normal. You see the temperature to high error - but by the time you look at the needle its back to normal.

IMHO the temperature sensor is a weak point - they are cheap and easy to fit - so replace yours before you do anything else :thumb: - mine last 2-3 years.
How cheap and easy is this to replace for a novice? Everytime I've started the car today the message flashes up 3-4 times and the coolant temperature needle swings from red to 0 each time - I think this is confirmation the sensor is going. It eventually settles to reflect the actual temperature.

clanless said:
I wouldn't worry about the a/c noise - leave as is until it becomes a real problem - my a/c is far noisier.

This is based upon my experience with a diesel 307.
The noise is pretty disturbing and I want functional climate control. I'm assuming this will have to be a professional job due to the A/C gases? The noise is pretty much eliminated with the A/C off however there is still a tiny bit noticeable when braking at slow speed.

I've now also got the dreaded 'Anti pollution system faulty' warning too :eek::mad:. It seems someone with Peugeot Planet is nearby in Ruislip so I'll get in contact with 'dieselnutjob'.

Thank you so much for your help!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the coolant temperature needle swings from red to 0 each time - I think this is confirmation the sensor is going. It eventually settles to reflect the actual temperature.

Yep - had the same happen - faulty coolant temperature sensor.

I'm talking about a 90bhp 2l diesel engine here - sensor is about £10 - the sensor is held in by a circlip - on the top of the engine - so 5 mins to replace.

Anti pollution fault - exercise some caution - remember these are 'generic' messages that can be triggered by all sorts of jiggery pokery - replace the sensor and then get it onto the diags - let us know what happens :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the coolant temperature needle swings from red to 0 each time - I think this is confirmation the sensor is going. It eventually settles to reflect the actual temperature.

Yep - had the same happen - faulty coolant temperature sensor.
Sensor and Haynes manual ordered. I'll let you know how it goes!

Anti pollution fault - exercise some caution - remember these are 'generic' messages that can be triggered by all sorts of jiggery pokery - replace the sensor and then get it onto the diags - let us know what happens
This fault seems to have disappeared, for now. I usually fill up the tank once I get the orange warning appear, however the last two fuel visits prior to the 'anti-pollution' warningI had only put £10-£15 in and drained it right down until the trip computer was at 15-20miles (oops!) A full tank of premium unleaded and red lines (once warmed up of course) seemed to have done the job.....

The only issue I still have is the rumble in slow traffic and idle when the climate control system is on. Any ideas before I take it to a garage? I have a feeling it's the A/C compressor.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the depollution system faulty light came on again yesterday. It seemed to trigger straight after the temperature sensor was failing and the car kept triggering 'STOP' 'Engine too hot' warning.

My other half got rid of it by turning the car on and very quickly turning it off and then back on. Strange? Is this a cheap way of wiping the error or does it just reset it?

I need to get round to changing the engine coolant temperature sensor but I'm worried about having to bleed the coolant system as it sounds like a pain!

·
8,215 Posts
Also worth checking cooling fan is not failing as fun runs on low speed whenever A/C is on. Another possibility is water pump impeller has come loose on shaft causing overheating.

Engine light could just be a consequence of the suspected over heating, need codes read to see what is logged

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Update

I had the coolant and coolant sensor changed two weeks ago and so far no more 'STOP' temperature warnings or anti-pollution faults. Fingers crossed that's the end of the matter :thumb:.

The mechanic took the opportunity to look at the cause of the rumbling noise and diagnosed a cracked exhaust mount so I will be ordering that soon!

My next project is to replace the perishing / bubbling window rubber:

Any ideas of part numbers, cost and time taken to replace these?

·
Premium Member
2,768 Posts
Normally they just pull off and push on over the openings skin panel. Cost and part number suggest going to a Peugeot main dealer.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Service box lists part numbers as 9303 G0 (left side)and 9303 G1 (right side) item 15 on this diagram

screen-shot-09-26-17-at-07-12-.jpg

Which seems to be the whole window channel,couldnt find with a quick search the rubbers by themselves,maybe they cant be bought seperate i am not sure.

Found one on ebay which the seller claims its at a greatly reduced price of only £68.64
9303G1 - REAR WINDOW CHANNEL for RIGHT Rear Door - PEUGEOT 307 - Genuine | eBay

Or theres this website but i couldnt see any prices

https://varuosad.alvadi.ee/en/vin/VF33CNFUB82030232/0/manufacturer/119/0

or just go to peugeot dealer and see if they sell just the rubbers

Terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts