Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the vague title. I have recently bought a 307cc 2.0 HDi, and although it runs great, it's developed a rough idle MOST of the time. The symptoms are a kind of metalically grind or a rattle (I really can't describe it), which goes as soon as you start driving. Also, the engine kind of gets over excited, if that makes sense, and will almost like want to move forward, though it doesn't. It's all very vague i know. Now, I've got it booked in to get all new oil and filters, and I'm getting the timing belt changed too (the lot, not just the belt), as I read that it could be something to do with a timing belt tensioner? the noise at least. I know absolutely nothing about engines whatsoever.

If this doesn't resolve it, any ideas what else could be causing it? I am avoiding driving it tbh as if it is the belt I could do without that going as I don't have $$$ for a new engine (wel, car haha)

Like I said, its not always like this. Sometimes it's smashing. So any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The older style pulley does fail and cause rattling, can also fail completely. Looks like this one... Pulley 1

Later design pulley seldom gives issues.. Pulley 3

If your alternator has a clutch pulley, this clutch system does fail and cause similar vibrations/noise to a failed crank pulley at idle. Check the auxiliary belt while idling and see if it is bouncing around a lot with the tensioner pulley also shifting around a lot.

The auxiliary belt tensioner could also be tight/siezed at it's swivel joint so it cant keep up with tensioning the belt, so check that too by putting a long spanner on the pulley retaining bolt and see if the movement is free and without wobble. Remove the auxiliary belt when testing the tensioner and check the bearing of the idler wheel while you are at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies guys! The car has been taken to get its timing belt and service done this morning. I won't be able to test it out as I am at work until 10pm, but I will update the thread when I can to let you know how it has gone.

My only question would be, if it IS the crankshaft pulley, how long is too long to drive without replacing it? Can't afford it until next payday - the 13th - would it be okay until then? It's not like I drive far anyhow. I walk to work cause it's only round the corner lol. If it's not remedied today I will get back in touch with the mechanic and see what he says. I am fairly clueless when it comes to anything engine related and wouldn't like to try my luck as I will likely make the problem worse lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just in case anybody else is having a simiar problem, it turned out to be a dual mass flywheel beginning to make a noise. I have been told that although it will need doing at some point, it should be fine as-is for now. It's an expensive fix though, so it's somehing I will have to save up for!

Thank you guys for your help :)

·
5,669 Posts
Just make sure you get it done before too long ie you get a heavy rattle and clonk on switch off as it has been known for them to fail and destroy the starter motor and bell housing when they break up. You should get plenty of warning as they sound like a bag of spanners first

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts