Peugeot Forums banner

NO sound!

13K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Mikam75 
#1 ·
5008GT with Focal / NAC latest version

it happened ca 4 times in the past 3 month, when starting the engine, radio powered on normally, but no sound came out. that includes also fake engine sound from "Sport" mode, Telephone, all sources.. (calling people hear my voice trough microphone - I dont hear them.)

I tried to restart (holding 1st two piano buttons for some secs). - no sucess
also engine on/off doesnt help.

only thing that helped, was power off the car for some time (+10 min)

any sugestions what that might cause and any idea how to solve it without powering off the car for so long time?

PS: newest FW update doesnt help. its the same.

#4 · (Edited)
This week it happened to me. I bought my used 5008 (model 2018) just 1,5 months ago and last week Sunday the car went to the silence mode. The software is up to date so it is not that. On Friday the sound came back to life for a singe ride, but the very next start was again mute.
I have also the Focal sound system in my 5008.

I have still one year warranty left. Next week I will have a maintenance appointment.
What was the root cause in your case Japke?

Was it the amplifier broken or was there a loose cable or something?

#5 ·
The Focal amp software is separate to the infotainment unit software - are you 100% sure your Focal system has had the update applied?

The Focal software update can only be installed by a Peugeot main dealer.

#6 ·
Ok, then I might have some light at the end of the tunnel. I thought that the the system version 21.08.25.12_NAC-r0 includes also the focal sound SW.

Anyway next Tuesday they starts to investigate the problem at site.

So your problem was fixed with the separate Focal SW?

Did you press the "CAR" button over 10s to start diagnostic mode for the dealer? I am not sure if that helps anything, but it supposed to give some kind of diagnostic data dump what the dealer can read at the shop.

Or at least that is what I have heard. Might be also a Urban Legend.

#7 · (Edited)
Have had the same problem on a couple of occasions. Was sorted by disconnecting the battery for a minute. Had the car serviced at Peugeot main dealer (Romford) recently and told them there was a TSB for the focal HI-FI firmware to fix the issue (mentioned in previous posts in the past). They said at the time of checking they found no problem and there was no outstanding firmware (I think they just looked at the general system firmware). Not sure where I can go with this now, presume there must be a TSB reference number that I can show them, who knows?

#11 ·
Have booked it in for next month for diagnostics at Peugeot Romford. I am hoping with the help of this info they can get straight to the focal HIFI firmware update fix as I've seen on other forum posts that some dealerships ended up replacing parts unnecessarily (screen etc) before actually applying the amplifier firmware (which was the actual fix in the end).

As it's almost a month away I am concerned if I apply the temporary fix (disconnecting the battery for 1 min) then they won't actualy see the fault codes if the car sounds are working on the day I handover my car. Will enabling logging (holding down the car piano button for 15 secs) while I have the problem help to store the codes in the log before I reset via battery disconnection?

#12 ·
My service date is 27.11.20 so I have to live with the sound of silence until that. This week the car has been silence only 2 days. Yesterday my car was at the dealer because of the oil leak. Before I bought the car, it had a 30 000km maintenance on 29.9.2020. The maintenance team put wrong seal to the "oil section" and there was only 1/5 oil left in the engine.
That was a close call.
(got from them 50€ gift card to their store of the mistake they made)

#13 ·
Hmmm do not know if the car battery trick is good idea. Even my earlier car (Toyota Verso year 2010) was done so that if you change the battery, it will require some kind of software to make it right. Without proper equipment you cannot change it. I am not sure about Peugeot 5008. Also you might loose the diagnostic data. One day I managed to enable the sound following way: Leave the drivers door open when you start the car. Do not know if I was just lucky, but at least you can try it. If the problem is that the amplifier SW has poor detection you might get lucky enabling all the possible sound components while starting the car.

#14 ·
The trick is to disconnect the battery for around 1 minute (time it if you can). Then restart the engine after another minutes- I've done it in the past to for this problem. Had the car since February; only had the no sound issue on 3 occasions (but two recently). It's kind of easy to do on the 5008 as there is a plastic lever that you can lift up to disconnect the battery. However if you are going to see them soon- might be better to leave, otherwise they won't necessarily detect the issue when you present your car.

#19 ·
Good news. Was that for the amplifier software update for focal system? Had my 5008 booked in but have postponed as the no sound issue did not recur since the battery reset; so need to book the car in again when it happens again.

Note I am already on the latest system firmware (but had the issue twice in quick succession ) but have not had the specific focal 'amplifier update' that has been mentioned before. If you did have the amp update is there any information about the work that I can pass on to Peugeot to help them diagnose the issue and apply the correct update?

#20 ·
First they had to call to German main dealer/support about the issue. The Germans wanted to see the data dump (the dump can be done by pressing phone or the car piano key over 15s). I cannot remember which. The other will only reset the display so you can try both. The local dealer in Finland did not tell me what is the firmware they installed but it works.

#22 ·
Problem has not recurred after resetting via a battery disconnect. I just wonder if it happens under particular circumstances (seem to remember leaving it on the Navigation setting menu when switching off the car last time). Happen twice in a row last time and been okay for months. Did they update the 'HI-FI firmware' or the system firmware last time, believe it is the HI-FI firmware that actually fixes the problem.

#27 ·
Well here is the new update to the story. Left back door treble speakers gave an error code to the system. That was the reason. They removed the error code and the sound came back. Next week they will change the entire speaker. Hopefully this is the final solution. So defected speaker can mute the whole car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.