Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the other day I pulled my head unit out to see what connectors they are
The only thing I disconnected was the aerial
Today I set off to work and switched the radio on and got total silence
Not to worry I thought must of dislodged something
So got home today and pulled it out again and everything was as it should be
So I pulled all the plugs and made sure they were plugged back in nice and tight and tried it again
Still nothing, strange thing is all the controls work on the MFD
So now I'm stumped :confused:

Any ideas what could be wrong??
Thanks

Oh yeah it's a 307CC 04 plate with the RD3 system

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you tried a CD in it ? if that works it's possible that the radio has lost the code or something similar although that shouldn't happen. The other possibilities are either antenna connection or speaker connection, I think the controls are one of the two plugs into the radio and the other is speaker/power/display one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried a CD in it ?
No will do tomorrow
If that works it's possible that the radio has lost the code or something similar although that shouldn't happen. The other possibilities are either antenna connection or speaker connection, I think the controls are one of the two plugs into the radio and the other is speaker/power/display one.
I thought the radios were programmed to the vin so how is there a code to lose?
Also I hadn't disconnected anything and it wasn't working so would it of been possible to lose the code??

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
The radio is VIN coded and carries the code even when disconnected so seriously doubt that it will have lost it. If it does need VIN coding it will let you know with an annoying beeping.

The connectors are (nearly) standard iso connectors, One block is the speakers with the other being Power & control lines (VAN/CAN).

Have you checked the fuse in the back of the head unit ? I think the RD3 has one. Not sure if the fuse would just protect the anplifier chip or the whole unit but worth a try.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The radio is VIN coded and carries the code even when disconnected so seriously doubt that it will have lost it. If it does need VIN coding it will let you know with an annoying beeping.

The connectors are (nearly) standard iso connectors, One block is the speakers with the other being Power & control lines (VAN/CAN).

Have you checked the fuse in the back of the head unit ? I think the RD3 has one. Not sure if the fuse would just protect the anplifier chip or the whole unit but worth a try.
Well it's not bleeping at all, there's two iso plugs at the back one white, one black and other side to that is the aerial
I did look for a fuse but couldn't see one externally on the radio
The thing that stumped me was the fact that if I press any of the controls it works fine all the info in the MFD is there
I did think fuse in fuse box but surely that'd stop all power to the unit so no controls or MFD info??

I have just found this RD3 PIN OUT which shows a fuse but I'm sure mine didn't have a fuse there (it does say model dependant though)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear view of a RD3 radio showing the fuse location that storeman is referring to. Maybe yours dropped out! ;)
Mines not like that it's like the one in the link I posted above

If the radio is working with the controls its not the fuse I assume you have tried turning it up :)

They seem to default to zero volume when disconnected
Yes I used the stalk and radio buttons it showed on the MFD that the volume was going up

·
Registered
14,261 Posts
both the link you posted and the pic posted show the same layout !!

Did your car have a hands free kit fitted in past as sometimes these can cause issues as they are plugged in to the power leads and mute sound during a call.

I really cant see you having killed the amp they rarely blow on these I have had hundreds of them and only 1 with dead amp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
both the link you posted and the pic posted show the same layout !!

Did your car have a hands free kit fitted in past as sometimes these can cause issues as they are plugged in to the power leads and mute sound during a call.

I really cant see you having killed the amp they rarely blow on these I have had hundreds of them and only 1 with dead amp.
Sorry yes what I meant was the plugs don't go into the back of the headunit
The sockets are mounted on the radio at a 90 degree angle

AFAIK it's never had a phone kit fitted

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So been out to try a CD it loaded in ok, but nothing came up on the MFD I tried pressing buttons but still no joy
And pressing the eject button does nothing so now the cd is stuck in the headunit :nono:

·
Registered
14,261 Posts
Sounds like you may have somehow damaged it as it should eject if its powering up I sell these on ebay and have lots of them the front panel controls do sometimes go faulty if you want to send yours I will either fix it or code you another.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So went to move the car to wash it
MFD shows cd details and I can do all the functions with stalk and buttons
Still no sound and can't eject the cd

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you may have somehow damaged it as it should eject if its powering up I sell these on ebay and have lots of them the front panel controls do sometimes go faulty if you want to send yours I will either fix it or code you another.
Sent you a PM :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts