Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

just took the car to the mechanic again, after i discovered gearbox was leaking oil for 1 week now thru the small hole made by the driveshaft joint banging against it when it broke.

So for last 1 week i made about 200km, half of it driving in city and half on highway going around 110km/h and not much faster than that.

Now i recieved the news that gearbox was pretty dried out, because gears were throwing the oil out thru that small hole (15x10mm) half way up the gearbox cover. Would anyone know if this could cause any serious problems for the gearbox, or should i be ok? Im kinda scared sh**less now and cant wait for the mechanic to tell me whats going on. He just said, it should all be fine in the end. (The guy is my GF's uncle, so i trust him pretty much)

Cheers, Iva

J

·
0 Posts
Gearbox oil is normally pretty viscous, so I would have thought the gears would have still remained lubricated and as such prevented them from grinding on each other... I'd have thought you would have heard/felt if there was some serious damage being done.

J

·
0 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but thats what I'd be thinking..... 200km isn't that far too drive anyhow.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even so, just heard from the mechanic and you were absolutely right. Seems like there was still bit of oil at the bottom that was thrown around and it prevented any serious damage.

Although, oil in gearbox was one of those Total's pretty low on viscousity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts