Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to start thinking about replacing the current car, a Saab 93 purchased for £500 when a corsa died of terminal DMF failure. It has the rusty wheel arch disease as per all Vauxhalls of a certain vintage and would cost more to repair than its worth.

As I do around 18 - 20k per annum a new or lease is our of the question as I would be hammered for milage charges, so i'll go down the used route.

I've owned a number of Peugeots over the years from 2 309's a 205, 306 and 206

I've read the 90HDI is more reliable, but I am leaning towards the 110 as I spend most of my time on the motorway

Is the EGR system a major issue with this engine? I have a theory that it is caused by the usage of supermaketed fuels and short runs. Once per month I travel from the North East to Lincolnshire so this would not be a problem once it has been cleaned

Are there any other issues to be aware of, I'm thinking of the electrical problems which could be down to the location of the earthing points. I'm thinking of cleaning the points and covering them with a light grease.

any assistance would be appriciated

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Supermarket fuel is no different to premium fuels they all come from the same place !!

110 is the best for relaxed cruising but I would go for a 406 in that case to avoid the DPF as 307 110 has it where 406 does not

As for the EGR it is not really much of a problem until newer engines where they become electronic.

My vote 406 110

Focus is not really a contender as it will have either a 1.8 ford engine which is OK or a 1.6 Peugeot which is best avoided :)

P

·
0 Posts
Quite true about fuels coming from same place, but my 307 really does act different on super market fuel.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
I run lots of different cars of various ages and never had an issue that I could hand on heart say was caused by supermarket fuel.

My fuel for my bongo comes from Costco in 20 litre drums :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
307SW 1.6 HDi 90, a brilliant car

In answer to the OP, we bought our 2007 1.6 HDi 90 SW-S 307 back in February and I have to say with the exception of the blessed COM2 unit going up the spout it is a truly excellent and very economical car.

I had thought about possibly going for the 110 version, but in all honesty the 90 has absolutely no problems keeping up with the traffic and it does so whilst still returning the high 50's to low 60's mpg which in this day and age is a real bonus.

As for supermarket fuel, well I run mine almost exclusively on the stuff I buy from Tesco and it gives me absolutely no problems whatsoever whilst normally saving me somewhere between 15 and 20 P per litre thanks be to our Tesco Club Card.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Most of the Issues with diesel cars is because of short/low mileage trips the Derv needs a good run now and again to blow out the cobwebs which from your post it would have

I have always purchased cars SH the depreciation factor never enters the equation then :lol:

I have had a couple of electrical issues since owning my car but nothing Major really

the Comms units was an easy fix as a forum member does this :lol:

A window problem "soon fixed after a read of posts"

My 307 SW is quite frugal on fuel also

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks the replies, 307/406 depending on availability it is then. Just discovered the front engine mount has decided to give up the ghost as there is movement in the clutch pedal when I turn the wheel. Been Quoted £200 for the part, car's not worth that!

Tax expires in February so will keep it till then or trade it when I find one of the above in a decent spec in the North East, should be deals in the new year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slight change of plan since I discovered a crack in the old girls bulkhead, the car not the wife!

Found a 407 2.0hdi 90 LX, anything I should be looking for apart from the ususal checks?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did they actually sell the 407 with the 2.0hdi 90hp enigine? Or do you mean 406?:)

I'll do some general stuff, as I've owned 3x 406 and now have my first 307.

406 has this going:
- Tighter, sportier in a way.
- Better seats. (imho)
- Less electronics that will screw you ower.
- They will pretty much last you forever.

However the SW 406 always felt unreasonable noisy from the rear to me. Engines are older.

307 wins here:
- More air. Feels roomy. Glass roof is awesome.
- Better/never engines.
- Better soundproofing from the rear.

Loses on:
- Steering feels less precise.
- Feels a lot less sporty.

Checklist for 406:
1. Sills. I've seen a couple with major rust damage, mainly under the rear doors.
2. Oil leaks from crankshaft and camshaft seals. Also from gearbox side seals. This will be felt as a slight judder when you release the clutch.
3. Leaky steering rack.

For 307:
Don't know - maybe the famous abs faults:)

Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that, it is a 406 2.0hdi LX90 on an X plate, will have a look at the car tonight.

Will let you know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts