Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone, my son-in-law has just bought a 2002 307 1.4 HDI, and I want to help him get it sorted, but, although I have had lots of experience of DIY on cars, I have absolutely no experience with Diesel engines, and I don't know anyone who I can call on for Peugeot help! (can anyone recommend a mechanic near Stoke on Trent?)
The car seems to drive absolutely fine, but on 2 or 3 occasions it has come up with "anti-pollution fault" message and cut out on an approach to a roundabout or junction, together with "stop" warning light, refusing to rev and causing potential danger to life and limb, not to mention harming the confidence of a new driver! What a dangerous system Peugeot have come up with there! A few minutes later it is driving perfectly again, and I have driven it for miles trying to get it to do it to me so I can reassure him on what to do but it won't do it to order!
I bought an OBD 2 code reader to try and get some indication of the fault but keep getting "linking error" message (it works fine on my Saab!). Can anyone help please?
P.S. there are some cut wires under the seat and the airbag light is on, just thought i'd mention that in case it could have any relevance! I'll be posting another thread about that one!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
What a dangerous system Peugeot have come up with there! A few minutes later it is driving perfectly again
All cars except pre ecu have this in the software and have done so for several years. How is this more dangerous than the car not giving any warning then cutting out completely leaving the driver stranded. At least with the limp home mode, you can do just that - limp home. You can at least get the car somewhere and get it repaired rather than having to pay to get it towed to a garage of unknown reputation.

Generic code readers can give at best the error code and cannot help with things like airbags & ABS. A proper diagnostic will give much more information and a better idea of where to start looking for the cause of the problem.

Search for Peugeot Planet map to find someone close to you to do a diagnostic

C

·
0 Posts
Ain't a 2002 diesel pre obd2?
So reader won't work!

Peugeot Planet owner, Doncaster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obd 2

that may explain a lot! Told you i didn't know much about Peugeots! Th ereader does say it works with all vehicles since 1996 but if you say not, i'm not in a position to disagree!
thanks

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The cut wires under the seat would cause an airbag fault to be displayed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anti-pollution fault

yes I thought the wires would need putting back correctly to be able to cancel the airbag fault, but can anyone help with this cutting out at roundabouts business, because it is potentially dangerous!
thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
yes I thought the wires would need putting back correctly to be able to cancel the airbag fault, but can anyone help with this cutting out at roundabouts business, because it is potentially dangerous!
thanks
No idea about the cutting out - if the car was going into limp mode you'd basically just notice the lack of power, but it shouldn't cut out (at least mine doesn't). A proper diagnostic using DiagBox or PP2000 should tell you what you need to know, but looking at the new member's map there isn't anyone near Stoke :(

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=214397633218647067111.0004dc947e5c1752ca0a2

That's the map I'm on about - it shows all the members on the forum who have the diagnostic kit :)

·
11,725 Posts
Planet should work OK. You're going to have to go down to Stourbridge to see monty9120 or come North to Ellesmere Port for me as we seem to be the closest members.

In the meantime all I can suggest is a thorough service, take out battery and air box and check all wiring connectors on various components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[QUOTE How is this more dangerous than the car not giving any warning then cutting out completely leaving the driver stranded./QUOTE]
According to my son-in-law that is precisely what it did! I wasn't with him but he says it just died, once on a roundabout in the rush hour and once at a busy junction! That was why i posted here, to see if anyone could attest to a similar experience, if it was just going into limp home mode I wouldn't have made the comment about the danger! Thanks for your help, though, it looks like he's going to have to get expert advice!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I guess you misunderstood the point I was trying to make.

Your original post stated
What a dangerous system Peugeot have come up with there!
The main point I was trying to make was that all manufacturers employ the same kind of system and that the issue your son had is not specific to Peugeot.

but on 2 or 3 occasions it has come up with "anti-pollution fault" message and cut out on an approach to a roundabout or junction, together with "stop" warning light, refusing to rev
Again from your original post, this implies that the engine is running but won't rev very high which is why I mentioned limp home mode.

I have experienced the antipollution warning and the engine revs dying whilst going round a roundabout but simply dipping the clutch and pumping the accelerator seemed to sort it out for me. My car didn't cut out completely so going off my personal experience I thought similar had happened to your son. Even if my car had stayed in limp home mode I would have been able to get home albeit slowly.

And the final point is that it is no more dangerous than a system that gives no warning and just cuts out - but then again I didn't say it was any safer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're probably right, that I misunderstood you and that it was limp-home mode he was experiencing, I can't be sure as i haven't had it happen whilst I was driving it, never mind, we'll get to the bottom of it eventually! Sometimes it is difficult to express yourself in text-speak, it is easy to take people the wrong way! Thanks for your input, anyway.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
You're probably right, that I misunderstood you and that it was limp-home mode he was experiencing, I can't be sure as i haven't had it happen whilst I was driving it, never mind, we'll get to the bottom of it eventually! Sometimes it is difficult to express yourself in text-speak, it is easy to take people the wrong way! Thanks for your input, anyway.
I agree. when speaking, you can tell from the tone how the comment is meant to be taken but that is missing from text. No offense was intended and perhaps I could have worded it better originally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts