Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
Newbie here.

I'm looking at the Peugeot 307 and have decided on one of the 2.0 models.
Quick question though. What is the difference between the 2.0 Turbo diesel and the 2.0 HDi XSI?
According to Parkers, the turbo diesel is slower than the diesel XSI but both have the 6 speed gearbox?
Is that right?

One other quick question; I test drove a petrol XSi and noticed there were two blank buttons to the right of the hazard button on the dash. I think one of them is traction control,
What would the other one be?

Thanks in advance. :lol:

G

·
Greetings.

Okay, all HDi's are turbo-diesels, with the added benefit of a high pressure common rail fuel system, which aids smoothness and economy.

The 2 litre is available in 90, 110 and 136ish BHP form. XSi is a sporty trim level and could be had with petrol engines, or the 136 diesel.

Dismiss the 110 2 litre straight away - the 110 bhp 1.6 is swifter, more economical and generally nicer.

The 90 isn't a ball of fire, but isn't bad. It's tough though, and doesn't have a Dual Mass Flywheel like the 110, so is more reliable and less expensive to fix.

The 136 is a bit of a pig. It's a decent performer with a ballsy mid range response, but it can suffer DMF, turbo, EGR, FAP and emcon system problems, to name but a few. It's also usually over priced on the used market because of it's rarity.

If potential engine reliabilty is your top priority, with decent economy, then the 90 is the one for you.

If you want the best all round diesel, the 110 1.6 HDi (I would avoid any 1.6 HDi before Sept 2005 due to turbo & EGR faults, that were rectified on later cars) though you'll pay a bit more for the privelege. It's economical, reasonably nippy, and if you absolutely must have the 6 speed box then the closely related 306 1.6 HDi 110 can be spec'd with one ;)

Bear in mind that any HDi 5 years or more old will be due a timing belt, idler, tensioner and bottom pulley, which can cost in excess of £500 at an authorised pug dealer, so scrutinise the history thoroughly. Do not buy one without an RAC/AA inspection - a good 307 is a cracking car, but there are many out there riddled with grief and you don't want to get caught out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks for all that info.

I like my toys in a car so I'll probably look for a diesel Xsi (I've always had petrol cars but I really refuse to give the government £250 for a years road tax next year!) but there's not many on Autotrader within a decent distance.

Just looking through all the different specs on the Parkers website. I've never seen a petrol GT or a "Feline" model on autotrader. 180bhp?!!!

Anyone any ideas of the blank button to the right of the hazard lights?

:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts