Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have just aquired a 307, a 2002 1.4hdi, lx.

The head unit is some JVC cd radio that has been fitted.

I would like to return to an OEM unit, but have seen so many models I have no idea what should have been fitted originally, OR, what is actually a sensible buy now.

I have also read that it needs to be coded to the VIN so see a few places doing that too.

So, questions -

1. Which head unit should I go for - just want single Cd and radio, with option of a changer in the future.

2. Do the remote display and steering wheel functions all work through the two factory loom ISO block connectors, as that is all I can see behind the headunit.

3. What size are the door speakers - front and rear, and, should my LX have tweeters in the dash?

4. Once returned to the factory head unit, so I get any trip computer type stuff up on the display? I dont have a users manual so dont know what i should or should not have!

5. lastly, the display is a bit dull in daylight. Do bulbs fail, or is there a dimmer somewhere?

Thanks for the help and advice....

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Which head unit should I go for - just want single Cd and radio, with option of a changer in the future.

Peugeot should be able to tell you what model you originally had if you ring up and give them your reg plate, I'd go for both, not sure if you'd have to code for the changer again if you fitted it later, there are a lot of reports of changers failing or refusing to read CD-R though!

2. Do the remote display and steering wheel functions all work through the two factory loom ISO block connectors, as that is all I can see behind the headunit.

They certainly do, pins 2 and 3 on the power block are the canbus wires

3. What size are the door speakers - front and rear, and, should my LX have tweeters in the dash?

Front = 17cm, Rear = 13cm (thats going off my 5 door, 3 door might be different, mine has tweeters but dont think they work after fitting my own head unit, either that or they are drowned out by the rest of my speakers booming away!

4. Once returned to the factory head unit, so I get any trip computer type stuff up on the display? I dont have a users manual so dont know what i should or should not have!

You'll get current radio station, current cd track etc

5. lastly, the display is a bit dull in daylight. Do bulbs fail, or is there a dimmer somewhere?

Mine does this as well, most noticably when its hot, however the bulbs do fail, you can easily pop it off by pulling it towards you and check the twist fit bulbs by removing them and having a look

Cheers

Rich :thumb:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rich

Thanks for taking the time to reply - its very much appreciated.

I had not thought of speaking to Peugeot re the original fit of headunit.

I did wonder however, if when lookig for one now, there would be any alternatives, and, possibly some model(s) to avoid?

Thanks

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - hopefully some one else will be along soon to answer that one then!

I was in my local breakers earlier today, and they ZERO 307s - the guy says he never sees them! - strange...

They did have many Citreon c2s with head units... so if one of them worked....

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys

Looking for a head unit, I notice that there are several revisions of the RD3 unit.

Are there any I shoud aim to buy, or will any do...?

I dont want to buy a pup here....

David

·
Registered
857 Posts

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
i have the same clarion in one of mine , it doesn`t fit right ,
in my other 307 1.4hdi i have the same one without the clarion name on it ,that one fits perfectly,
maybe theres a size difference?

·
Registered
857 Posts
bettyswollocks said:
i have the same clarion in one of mine , it doesn`t fit right ,
in my other 307 1.4hdi i have the same one without the clarion name on it ,that one fits perfectly,
maybe theres a size difference?
NO,
i have both models here, the clarion one and the VDO one, i have sold many of these and they are EXACTLY the same, not one difference in the size!

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
no offence , but why is one a perfect fit and the other sits about 3mm out ,
2002 1.4hdi
2004 1.4hdi a/c
not doubting you , but the clarion in my 2004 model won`t sit flush , and nothing holding it out, just too tight.

maybe same size unit , could be console the problem since it has a/c ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
bettyswollocks said:
no offence , but why is one a perfect fit and the other sits about 3mm out ,
2002 1.4hdi
2004 1.4hdi a/c
not doubting you , but the clarion in my 2004 model won`t sit flush , and nothing holding it out, just too tight.

maybe same size unit , could be console the problem since it has a/c ?
hi, on my 2002 307, i have fitted both the clarion and the Non clarion and they both sit perfectly, not 1 mm out.
so it has to be a problem with your clarion unit, on both sides of the unit, there are flexible clips, make sure they are not too out, try to adjust them by pushing them in a bit...
how does it sit out? can you give me more details? ie; does it sit out 3mm evenly on both sides ???

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
sorry had to go out to the car and try the clips,:veryold:

i stand corrected you are perfectly right,:bow:

pushed clips back and hey presto , fits perfect.:thankx:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies and guidance.

I have picked up a head unit, so just need it coded now. Turned out a friend of a friend had one lying around!

Quickie - will my 1.4hdi 2002 have a trip computer.. showing the likes of consumption data? If not, wonder if that is "upgradeable"....?

David

·
Registered
857 Posts
BestGear said:
Thanks for the replies and guidance.

I have picked up a head unit, so just need it coded now. Turned out a friend of a friend had one lying around!

Quickie - will my 1.4hdi 2002 have a trip computer.. showing the likes of consumption data? If not, wonder if that is "upgradeable"....?

David
hi, yes, the little screen in the centre of the dash will show this information, ie; fuel consumption, date/time.....
on the wiper stalk, the is a button you can press to select which info you want displayed..
regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I think its dependent on trim level with regards to mpg data etc

Mines an "S" and i dont get it on my display, just date, time and temp i have :-(

Would be handy though!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Stubbo said:
I think its dependent on trim level with regards to mpg data etc

Mines an "S" and i dont get it on my display, just date, time and temp i have :-(

Would be handy though!
you should able to get that info such as MPG..
did you try pressing the button on the wiper stalk with the engine/ignition on ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did, nothing happened!

Doesnt feel very buttony if you know what i mean, have heard its only a micro switch that is in there so maybe this is dead!?

Unless you have to have the standard head unit in place for this to show up, would be a weird setup if thats how it worked!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Stubbo said:
I did, nothing happened!

Doesnt feel very buttony if you know what i mean, have heard its only a micro switch that is in there so maybe this is dead!?

Unless you have to have the standard head unit in place for this to show up, would be a weird setup if thats how it worked!!
hi, you dont have to have the head unit in place for that info to be displayed, just tried on my car abd everything works fine without the head unit, time, date, temperature, MPG, distance left to next refill......etc
so like you said, maybe some cars dont have that option..

regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi

Tried that switch on mine, and no change to the display - obviously with a non standard (crappy) head unti in place.

Although the stalk does feel like there is a button (or something) there - ie some tactile movement, the display does not change.

I wonder if the switch is not fitted to the stalk... might be possible to retro fit!

My car is a 2002 1.4HDi LX.

David

1 - 20 of 27 Posts