Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pc started to write "unknown usb device" when i connected my interface, i got two cables with my china clone interface, and started using the other, but in a short while, the problem occured on that too, and i decided to make my own cable.
I bought a 3m usb cable with an "A" connector in each end, and two D-SUB connectors

I cut the usb cable in two and made the end ready for soldering

The colours are standart, and the connections are as this: Black (can be yellow) pin 1. green pin 7. red pin 8. white pin 9. D-Sub connector seen from front

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Usb cables and d-sub connectors are fairly cheap, so i bought a decent quality, total cost about £16 including shipping for materials for two custom cables
It turnet out the original cables were broken in several places, now my interface works perfect again.

Holt

·
11,968 Posts
A cheaper alternative - especially if you don't like soldering pins - is to get a USB cable and a serial cable (i've got a boxful here) and join them with terminal blocks or solder the wires.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
11,968 Posts
I'm not too sure "high quality" USB cables are any better than regular ones. Like HDMI cables its often a scam to re-package an item and sell it for a stupid price - like the £10 USB cables from PC World and £20 HDMI cables.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In this case high quality is the right word for it, the connector points are spring loaded, there are two thin wires to take up any stretch. when you insert it in the pc, it just feels different.

Holt

·
Registered
287 Posts
My pc started to write "unknown usb device" when i connected my interface, i got two cables with my china clone interface, and started using the other, but in a short while, the problem occured on that too, and i decided to make my own cable.
I bought a 3m usb cable with an "A" connector in each end, and two D-SUB connectors

I cut the usb cable in two and made the end ready for soldering

The colours are standart, and the connections are as this: Black (can be yellow) pin 1. green pin 7. red pin 8. white pin 9. D-Sub connector seen from front

Nice work, those cables should last alot longer.

ive used cheap usb cables to for a few projects and the wires inside them are very thin - no wonder they end up breaking.

Your cable looks like nice thickness of cable - USB devices use highspeed buses. There really picky about connections, i think even untwisting the pairs can cause issues too.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And here more than two years later, I still use the same cables, and I use them a lot I got two pc's with different versions of DiagBox, they are in use more than twice a week, and never given me problems.

Holt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts