Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Need some new tyres for my GTI currently on the Michelin pilot sports 225/40 18
only done 16,000 on them dont know what others are getting be good too know?.

Basicaly just wondering if anyone can recommend any other make. Was temped to go for an all weather tyre as winter coming up but had no exprience on them.

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Michelin Cross Climate + are very good for an all season tyre.

To only get 16K out of a set of Michelin's either means incorrect pressures / alignment OR an enthusiastic driving style.

·
Registered
133 Posts
On my last car I had PS3's and swapped them for the 4's. They are a great tyre but found them lacking in the cold and wet. I did have 2nd set of wheels and Goodyear Ultragrip winter tyres though.

If you're sticking with a dedicated summer the the new Eagle Assy 5 looks good and better priced.

Michelin do sem to last longer than other brands too. Although the PS3 lost grip towards the end of it life.

My GT Line came with PS3's which are nearly done on the front at 16k. I'm going to put crossclimate+ on it, as Ive gone from 305bhp to 130bhp....and lost a cylinder! :rofl:

·
Registered
852 Posts
It's hard to tell whether 16k is good or bad... it comes down to how you use the car. Lots of hard acceleration / braking / cornering will wear out the tyres sooner than a car driven primarily on the motorway with minimal braking / acceleration / cornering.

But you have a GTI... you bought a performance car, so you want the tyres to keep up with it. I would go with Michelin Pilot Sport 4. In my experience, on a heavy 407 coupe on the rear tyres, the wear is standard.

Those crossclimate tyres are good for daily drivers BUT with one caveat. In the summer, they aren't as good as summer tyres such as the PS4 and in the winter, not as good as proper winter tyres. It's a jack of all trades and a master of none.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have found running the Cross Climate + does cure the 308 trait of the back moving around / jumping / stepping out slightly on cornering.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Recently put a full set of Goodyear Efficient Grips on and find them to be equally good in the wet and dry, even when pushing it. They are also one of the quietest tyres on the market. I would thoroughly recommend ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so may be 16k is about right then, pressure`s are checked everyweek ive had the allignment checked twice one with a hunter machine and both came back as within spec and im not really a quick driver to be honest im avg 42mpg may be have a couple times when a boy racer right up my behind being a bit enthusiastic.

Will the cross climate ware quicker than a summer tyre?

·
Registered
133 Posts
so may be 16k is about right then, pressure`s are checked everyweek ive had the allignment checked twice one with a hunter machine and both came back as within spec and im not really a quick driver to be honest im avg 42mpg may be have a couple times when a boy racer right up my behind being a bit enthusiastic.

Will the cross climate ware quicker than a summer tyre?
The cross climate + was an update to the cross climate to give better longevity.

What changed with the new Michelin CrossClimate Plus - Tyre Reviews

·
Registered
852 Posts
Recently put a full set of Goodyear Efficient Grips on and find them to be equally good in the wet and dry, even when pushing it. They are also one of the quietest tyres on the market. I would thoroughly recommend ?
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance are good tyres, had them on my old car and new car, it's a fantastic mixture of performance and economy. Similar to PS4 really but I do think PS4 has the edge. I've got Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2's, the sister brand and tyre to the Goodyears and have noticed some horrible radial cracks inbetween the tread. Put me off both Dunlop's and Goodyears tbh.

To be honest, any premium tyre in the same category (summer, performance, winter, economy etc) and all will be fairly similar.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Had Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance fitted on my old 206 after reading all the rave reviews, I just didnt rate them & found them dreadful in the wet.

My 308 came with Goodyear Efficient Grip fitted, again didnt rate them & so useless in the wet even with at least 4mm on they got replaced for a set of Cross Climate +

My mothers 2004 Mondeo has Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance fitted & on that car there perfectly fine whenever I've driven the car.

The only other issue with the Goodyear Efficient Grip are soft / easily damaged sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ask 20 people which tyres are best and you will invariably get at least 20 different answers. On motorcycle forums that response figure can double.

Same applies to oil.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I notice on the report it said the ESP on the 308 GTI can be fully deactivated - is the GTI system set up different to the rest of the 308 range then?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I notice on the report it said the ESP on the 308 GTI can be fully deactivated - is the GTI system set up different to the rest of the 308 range then?

I’m not sure — there’s certainly a button to disengage DSC, but whether it is “fully” deactivated is unclear; my handbook suggests it is but that’s fairly unusual in current model cars

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
On my 308 you can switch the ESP OFF with the dash button but as soon as the road speed gets to 31 MPH the system auto re arms itself again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On my 308 you can switch the ESP OFF with the dash button but as soon as the road speed gets to 31 MPH the system auto re arms itself again.

Ah yes, when in doubt, RTFM:

“Reactivation:
the system is reactivated automatically each time the ignition is switched back on or from 30 mph (50 km/h) (except GT and GTi versions).”

So, yes, fully deactivated on the GTi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts