Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Just got my first 307 today! Love it already, even though it's for my wife.
It's a 1.6 petrol 16v 2005 SE.
Picked it up with only 31,900 miles with service history.

Lovely deep red! EVEN still has the new car smell!!!

Needs a new clutch soon. No slippage or juddering at all. Very smooth but it bites very high so probably not much meat on it.
Where do they normally bite?

Well I need to change the timing belt asap, give it a full service myself also.
I see on this engine the timing belts are very accessible. Planning to do it myself.
Gates kit.

Is a new water pump necessary with only 32,000 miles?

Will need new brakes also but I see the parts are quite cheap.

Love the dual air zone, so the misses can have her heat on and I can have the A/C!!

Thanks

edit: looks like I can do the timing belt without the need to lift the car and remove the right front wheel guard. Looks like there is enough access the remove the crankshaft pulley from above. Maybe wrong. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hit the first obstacles today changing oil. Had no idea the sump plug would be some strange size square socket (not allen). So first trip to Halfords before they closed!.

Had to use a breaker bar to remove the plug once I got back!! Why do garages always put them on soo tight?
Ok so I'm going to leave it overnight to drain.

Now to the oil filter cap! Now I'm without a 27mm socket!! No other tool I had would fit. Amazon prime order. Have to wait until Saturday just missed the cut off for next day delivery. Well that will give the sump some more time to drip out onto the drain pan.

So onto the plugs. That was fairly easy. 35 minutes or so to change them. Looked like they had never been changed. Bit worse for wear.
Everything else in there, pipes etc were in top notch condition. Coil and cover back on (in the dark and drizzle)

:thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi

I wouldn't worry about the clutch, it's quite common for the bite to be high. I've had my 307 for four years now, and it's always been high. If it feels ok it probably is ok.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The clutch bite on Peugeots is considered as high compared to other cars, so I wouldn't be alarmed if the clutch is performing satisfactorily , you will soon be made aware when it starts to fail either by strange noises when using the clutch or judder just as it starts to engage when pulling away in first or reverse. If you intend changing the cam belt then I would be inclined to change the water pump while your in that neck of the engine although I would wait until the mileage was somewhere nearer 60k before changing either.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clutch bite on Peugeots is considered as high compared to other cars, so I wouldn't be alarmed if the clutch is performing satisfactorily , you will soon be made aware when it starts to fail either by strange noises when using the clutch or judder just as it starts to engage when pulling away in first or reverse. If you intend changing the cam belt then I would be inclined to change the water pump while your in that neck of the engine although I would wait until the mileage was somewhere nearer 60k before changing either.
Thanks guys.

You mention waiting until it has more mileage. What about its age? 10 years old now. Although the entire car, even the engine bay is like new.
I intend to remove the belt cover to inspect the belt this weekend.
If it looks like new then yes as you mention it might be worth waiting until it has another 25/30,000 miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If the timing belt has never been changed then 10 years is a long time on perishable rubber. I cant imagine it will last very long if it is the original belt. If you have no history of it being changed, i would definately change it if you have fairly easy access to it. If you plan on keeping it for a long time then id also do the water pump, otherwise it would probably be okay

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sorry, missed the age bit , so yes could be a good idea to change the belt and the water pump. Having considered the age and perishing rubber my wife's 106 diesel with 49k is 14 years old and still on the original belt and pump. The only mechanical bits changed other than consumables are the pre- heater plugs. Great car. :thumb:

·
Registered
687 Posts
for piece of mind, I'd get the belt and pump done. The serpentine belt condition would give you an indication and as you said, the plugs were in a bit of a state. So whilst in good nick overall it would be a shame to have the belt snap and ruin a good car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Belt and pump done. Took it out for a days driving today.
Brilliant car. Love it. Bit jealous now as it's for my wife.

Needs some good revs to get the power from the 1.6.
Nice sound when revving to 5/6000 rpm.

Brakes spot on. So comfy. Love all the little compartments and draws to store things.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had my wife's 307 for about 6 months now.

Apart from the noisy cold start ups it's still quite a joy to drive. :D

For quite a high car it's still quite numble around corners.
Even though the clutch is high and the gear changes are quite clonky, the plastic dash surrounds look and feel cheap, it gives me a smile when driving on the dual carriageways and around country lanes.

Wife uses it for school runs and I find myself wanting to use it more for the weekend trips.

Planning a trip to visit my Dad in mid Wales over Easter and might take a trip to Barmouth in it.

Got its MOT in May, but need to change the front discs before then. Can't see much else going wrong with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had my wife's 307 for about 6 months now.

Apart from the noisy cold start ups it's still quite a joy to drive. :D

For quite a high car it's still quite numble around corners.
Even though the clutch is high and the gear changes are quite clonky, the plastic dash surrounds look and feel cheap, it gives me a smile when driving on the dual carriageways and around country lanes.

Wife uses it for school runs and I find myself wanting to use it more for the weekend trips.

Planning a trip to visit my Dad in mid Wales over Easter and might take a trip to Barmouth in it.

Got its MOT in May, but need to change the front discs before then. Can't see much else going wrong with it.
Give it time.;)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I agree with the dash appearance looking a bit cheap. I also didn't like the silver dash, centre console & door handle trims so bought the wood effect trims to replace them with. Mad the car look quite a bit nicer I thought but they're not to everyones taste. Put the original trims back in when I part exchanged it for the 308. Will get round to selling the wood effect trims one day. The clutch while being a big job is manageable if you have the confidence and are handy with the toolkit. I did mine on the road outside my house (no garage or driveway) and if you have the front end high enough on stands, can do it all on your own. I didn't have it high enough to get the gearbox under the car while on the trolley jack so needed five minutes of help to lift the box onto the jack once it was under the car.

The 307 is a great car for it's age and to me, doesn't look outdated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts