Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone :yourock:

Just bought myself a new old car, bought a 307sw se 2002 110.
Can I ask a few questions?

A bit of background so you know where I'm coming from -
Only my second ever car ( only been driving for 4 months) My previous car was a y reg A Class 190 1.9l petrol. Until the 307 I have never driven another car except for a few hours of a learner Diesel car.
I am a total novis when it comes to understanding cars and how they work - sorry in advance for that :)

Bought the 307 at the weekend from a local garage with 3 months 'engine and gearbox' warranty, ie not really a full warranty but better than nowt.

So far I love the car, was very nervous about driving an estate but so far so good. There is a couple of little issues which I knew about, digital air con not cold ( blowers all seem to work ok so think just a regass) stereo and 5 disk both poor.
I have also noticed the first gear is a little harder to get into than the rest, needs a little bit more force than the rest, especially when the car is cold - now I might be imagining it and I have only over used one other clutch which died on me !
The bite point is high so I think thats right? but you need to press the clutch pretty far down to change gear - is that all ok?
Also the clutch feels a little 'gritty' does that make sense? just not really smooth putting your foot down on the pedal.

I have changed the stereo and I know I need a kit to use the stalk however I the stereo doesnt save radio channels nor turns off when the engine goes off, I understand you need to swap a couple of leads around to get it to work?

The spare wheel carrier on the underside is broken, is there a part number to order one? I have the wheel and tools ect.

Thanks for reading and I pray I'm a happy 307 owner for a long time :)

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Afternoon everyone :yourock:

Just bought myself a new old car, bought a 307sw se 2002 110.
Can I ask a few questions?

A bit of background so you know where I'm coming from -
Only my second ever car ( only been driving for 4 months) My previous car was a y reg A Class 190 1.9l petrol. Until the 307 I have never driven another car except for a few hours of a learner Diesel car.
I am a total novis when it comes to understanding cars and how they work - sorry in advance for that :)

Bought the 307 at the weekend from a local garage with 3 months 'engine and gearbox' warranty, ie not really a full warranty but better than nowt.

So far I love the car, was very nervous about driving an estate but so far so good. There is a couple of little issues which I knew about, digital air con not cold ( blowers all seem to work ok so think just a regass) stereo and 5 disk both poor.
I have also noticed the first gear is a little harder to get into than the rest, needs a little bit more force than the rest, especially when the car is cold - now I might be imagining it and I have only over used one other clutch which died on me !
The bite point is high so I think thats right? but you need to press the clutch pretty far down to change gear - is that all ok?
Also the clutch feels a little 'gritty' does that make sense? just not really smooth putting your foot down on the pedal.

I have changed the stereo and I know I need a kit to use the stalk however I the stereo doesnt save radio channels nor turns off when the engine goes off, I understand you need to swap a couple of leads around to get it to work?

The spare wheel carrier on the underside is broken, is there a part number to order one? I have the wheel and tools ect.

Thanks for reading and I pray I'm a happy 307 owner for a long time :)
stereos are common to go in them you have wires wrong for after market stereo sounds like it will need a new clutch and poss a new dual mass fly wheel too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone give any more details to the questions?
Is there a way of prolonging the life of the clutch? I'm in Manchester does anyone know a fair price and where to get it done if required?

Any diagrams of the wires for the stereo? Anyone know the carrier part number?

Another question, how can you tell when the turbo kicks in? Is it at a certain speed or revs or gear?

Thank you :)

·
11,706 Posts
Welcome aboard. All your issues are very common and hit every 307 at some time!

Aircon - get it checked for free at Quik Fit. No good regassing if there's a leak. But its probably fine and just needs a regas.

Stereo - if reception is poor it may be the aerial base. If its the standard factory fit it shouldn't be losing its station settings, there are no wires to swap over on the original loom.

The 5 CD changer is notorious for failing. Get rid of both for a good Sony Bluetooth MP3 player. With the right cable you'll still have steering column stalk control.

Clutch high bite point - don't write it off just yet. I've known a few 307s with high clutches that have lasted 30,000 miles. My first 307 for example.

However, the difficult first and "gritty" feel might negate that, especially as its the 110bhp model.

The only place in Manchester I can recommend is Tyldesley Tyres. They're as honest as the day is long. I'm not sure if they do clutches (they're more of a tyre, brakes and service place) but give them a call for their recommendation.

Other than that I have a local mechanic near to me but you'd have the hassle of getting to the Wirral and leaving it for a day.

And finally, if you need a cheap diagnostic check, find the closest member from here and make him your best friend:

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/general-discussion-2/how-contact-member-peugeot-planet-diagnostic-28190/

Check the latest map as the original one is rather old and some members have now moved on.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214397633218647067111.0004dc947e5c1752ca0a2&msa=0&ll=54.265224,-3.383789&spn=10.238651,28.54248

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Welcome aboard. All your issues are very common and hit every 307 at some time!

Aircon - get it checked for free at Quik Fit. No good regassing if there's a leak. But its probably fine and just needs a regas.
Thank you will sort that today !

Stereo - if reception is poor it may be the aerial base. If its the standard factory fit it shouldn't be losing its station settings, there are no wires to swap over on the original loom. Its an after market stereo, I read you have to change a red and yellow cable around? As the stereo doesnt turn off when the ignition is off also?

The 5 CD changer is notorious for failing. Get rid of both for a good Sony Bluetooth MP3 player. With the right cable you'll still have steering column stalk control.
Can you have 2 stereos at once or do you mean just have one Sony full stop? Have you a link to the leads for the stalk to work?

Clutch high bite point - don't write it off just yet. I've known a few 307s with high clutches that have lasted 30,000 miles. My first 307 for example.

However, the difficult first and "gritty" feel might negate that, especially as its the 110bhp model.
So that's a bad sign ?! Have you a rough cost of a new one?

The only place in Manchester I can recommend is Tyldesley Tyres. They're as honest as the day is long. I'm not sure if they do clutches (they're more of a tyre, brakes and service place) but give them a call for their recommendation.
Thank you.

Other than that I have a local mechanic near to me but you'd have the hassle of getting to the Wirral and leaving it for a day.
As it goes I'm in the Wirral tonight watching football (Stoke fan) Do you do Planet diags?

Thank you for your detailed reply.

P

·
0 Posts
As it goes I'm in the Wirral tonight watching football (Stoke fan) Do you do Planet diags?

Thank you for your detailed reply.

If your using an aftermarket radio, check the connection to back or stero to make sure its making a good clean contact. Also may be worth checking the base in the roof, mine had got wet over time and muck had built up.

From what I understand, the standard stero boots the signal, this can be replicated with a simple powered booster, i'll find a link on ebay to what someone on here has used.

·
11,706 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
There are two part numbers for the mechanism for the spare wheel carrier. If you post (or PM if you'd rather) the last 8 digits of the VIN I can get the right one.

·
11,706 Posts
I'm pretty flexible for any day after 4 if you want to head over to the Wirral. Or I can swing by tomorrow morning if you want? I'm doing a diag off the M56 first and can carry on that way to your area.

Get your post count up then send me a PM with your address.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty flexible for any day after 4 if you want to head over to the Wirral. Or I can swing by tomorrow morning if you want? I'm doing a diag off the M56 first and can carry on that way to your area.

Get your post count up then send me a PM with your address.

Thanks Gibbo, what time Saturday morning here in Manchester?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts