Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I've just bought a new radiator from gsf £40
(and the code imprinted into the plastic shows its the same as the old radiator)

but !

There's no plastic twist drain plug at the bottom...it has been blanked off !

and where the temp sensor is, is a warning ...do not flipping remove !

Has anyone else come across this?
and what do they do to drain the coolant...pipe off?

Cheers
Liam

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ahh, it's all ok..

I'll take the old one off, and have a good look around.

I think? the citreon version doesn't have one
altho it is strange it has the same code...
must have been a design enhancement !

the bleed point was great ...just twist and go

cheers
liam

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just remove that blanking plug and fit the temp sensor. I've seen this all the time.That rad will probably be listed for various Peugeot/Citroen models across the range.
Most rads these days do not have drain plugs.(one less item to leak). If you ever need to drain the coolant just remove the bottom hose.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just goes to show ya...

I was thinking ...why the heck did they get rid of that great twist and go drain plug..

when replacing the radiator today
for the first time ever the plastic drain screw on the old radiator just went round and round....it didn't open and let the coolant out !!

anywho...all's good :)

It's nowhere as bad as Haynes makes out !
pretty easy peasy tbh...

A tip
...to get the hoses off easily , just use a heat gun to warm the pipes and they come off real easy.

oh, another tip... the clamps don't have to be squeezed in and put in place in one go.
squeeze them enough to fit over the plastic pipe of the radiator
(this will reduce their distance of the two "prongs" of the clip)
making it a lot easier to put on with some pliers etc. (at the beginning the "prongs" are too far apart for plyers to work.
tbh, I just used my hands and some rags to squeeze them at the beginning

Keep on keeping Rad, dudes :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
oh, another tip... the clamps don't have to be squeezed in and put in place in one go.
squeeze them enough to fit over the plastic pipe of the radiator
(this will reduce their distance of the two "prongs" of the clip)
making it a lot easier to put on with some pliers etc. (at the beginning the "prongs" are too far apart for plyers to work.
tbh, I just used my hands and some rags to squeeze them at the beginning
I really HATE those clips... I always bin them and use a decent quality hose clamp which uses the worm gear system. Much easier to remove and replace in awkward areas. :nod:

·
Registered
695 Posts
hate those clips too,,but if i have to use them i normally use a pair of plumbers grips or vice grips to get them onto the pipe which open much wider than normal pliers,,then as ianmcl says you can revert to normal pliers once the gap in the lugs gets smaller..
dont fancy the using the hands method especially on a cold day :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hate those clips too,,but if i have to use them i normally use a pair of plumbers grips or vice grips to get them onto the pipe which open much wider than normal pliers,,then as ianmcl says you can revert to normal pliers once the gap in the lugs gets smaller..
ever tried getting any sort of pliers under/behind the head of a 407 2.0 HDi to get the clip off to change small pipe between thermostat and rear of engine?
Think I invented a whole host of new profanities while trying to do this recently. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ever tried getting any sort of pliers under/behind the head of a 407 2.0 HDi to get the clip off to change small pipe between thermostat and rear of engine?
Think I invented a whole host of new profanities while trying to do this recently. :D
lol :)
I was just thinking ...
I wonder if cable ties , tied tighter each one ,
would work to compress the clips ?

All seems good, so far ....

lucky I did it when I did, as the old one's wall was wafer thin
and a hairline crack of 4mm,
which was ready to open ...

·
Registered
695 Posts
not on a 407 but have tried on the back of a 307 2.0 110 and that was bad enough :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I really HATE those clips... I always bin them and use a decent quality hose clamp which uses the worm gear system. Much easier to remove and replace in awkward areas. :nod:
I take the opposite view. All too often I have undone jubilee type clips to find distorted tubes underneath due to overtightening that are a pig to seal when I replace the hose. The spring clips will be fine to hold hoses on firmly.
You can buy a tool if you are often removing them, but gland pliers are all you need for occasional work.

Roger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I take the opposite view. All too often I have undone jubilee type clips to find distorted tubes underneath due to overtightening that are a pig to seal when I replace the hose. The spring clips will be fine to hold hoses on firmly.
You can buy a tool if you are often removing them, but gland pliers are all you need for occasional work.

Roger.
To be honest,
having used these squeezy spring clips for the first time,
when doing the radiator...
I have to agree...

They are good... I was a bit skeptical whether they would exert enough pressure, and stop any leaks , but they did fine !

tbh, I would be worried about over tightening the jubilee, screw on, ones...
and also ,
there is a risk? of puncturing the hose, by slipping with the screwdriver, and taking a chunk out..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If the car left the factory with spring clips then they should certainly be up to the job!.

The hoses have to keep a seal up to a maximum pressure of perhaps 18lbs/sq in. not much load at all.

Roger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If the car left the factory with spring clips then they should certainly be up to the job!.

The hoses have to keep a seal up to a maximum pressure of perhaps 18lbs/sq in. not much load at all.

Roger.
Good point ...
I didn't know, whether after 20 years of wear and tear from the elements
or aging, if enough springyness would've been lost.

or if they lose any if removed a few times...

..I just didn't know.
but they seem good.

Dunno if you still can get them...as a quick look on ebay, shows hardly any for sale over here..

https://youtu.be/pV1IP4N9ajg?t=139

anywho, let's hope it's a while before I need to be faffing with them again :)
Cheers
Liam

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
I much prefer the spring clips to normal jubilee type clips as they always come off !

If you have the correct tool they can be fitted and removed easily and no screwdriver to drop trying to tighten them :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I was at a car show today, lots of tool sellers among the trade stands. I saw a Bergen tool for removing/replacing the clips for sale at £10. I don't rate Bergen tools much, but if you are just a diy mechanic they should be ok.

Roger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts