Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Just picked up a 2016 16 plate Peugeot 2008 1.6 diesel 100 Allure in Black with delivery miles on it. Admittedly it is a pre reg vehicle. This is my first ever Peugeot and only had it a few hours and can honestly say I love it. While I have been waiting to take delivery I have signed up on here and been reading all the posts, and found this forum to be a wealth of helpful and useful information.

There are only 2 things I wish to do to this car and they are obtain a set of roof bars and fit a tow bar.

I do have one question in relation to the towbar can I fit this myself and do I need to remove the rear bumper and is it easy to wire the 7 pin single electrics myself.

When I get chance I will put some pictures up of my new car.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I would recommend searching for a towbar with the car specific wiring as a kit. This alows you to connect to existing wiring looms without splicing or using scotchlocks and ensures it doesn't interfere with the canbus. They do come at a premium price but the extra money spent in the first place could save a whole lot more in trying to resolve potential issues later on.

Most decent towbars these days can be fitted yourself and depending on the vehicle may not need the rear bumper cutting. Those I've seen that do need the bumper cutting only need a small piece underneath cutting out so is not visible unless you lie on the floor. As for a 7 pin plug, I'd be tempted to future proof and go for the 13 pin plug and use an adapter when necessary.

For roof bars, I'd price up the genuine Peugeot bars then compare with a good branded after market set like Thule. I would definitely get a set that has the correct mountings for the roof channels rather than the clamp on type. I was fortunate and got a set with the correct fittings for my 308 from a fellow member at a very nice price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Towbars

Hi,

Not been on here for a while, lost username and password so re-registered.

Anyway, Fitted a tow bar myself to my 2008 and was a doddle. I bought a 'Brinks' detachable (quality bar) and by-pass relay from Hedley-towbars.co.uk all for under £200. Great company to deal with excellent service.

No need to remove bumper and elec's weren't an issue. I don't use dedicated elec's due to cost. Remember though should you have an electrical problem that can be associated of fitting a by-pass relay manufacturers will charge you for rectification of faults ( won't cover under warranty). :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you not mean 12N socket? which is for the trailer lights, if so yes you'll need a by-pass relay or you could opt for the dedicated electrics kit but you'll need to get it programmed to the vehicle.

12S is for supplementary power for caravans and not for trailer lights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts