Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here, but with any luck will be a more regular face. I'm looking to buy a Peugeot 307 1.6 Petrol. I'm going to view it tomorrow to check it all out, its 2002 reg, 82k on the clock, 8 month MOT and 6 month Tax, no history with it though but apparently just had new exhaust, new tyres all round and new radiator.

So just after general advice from you guys really... are there any common faults to look out for? when is the timing belt due on these cars? Any other big service things I should look for? From the advert it looks well looked after.

How easy are the cars to maintain/service by yourself i.e. replacing brakes, bulbs, general service items? I used to have an MG ZR which i kind of taught myself all the basic mechanical stuff with cos it was so full of faults n couldn't afford garage labour charges.

I'll await some advice and apologise in advance if I bombard with questions ... I've developed into quite a picky car buyer due to bad past experiences.

Thank you, Mark

D

·
0 Posts
Mark hi. Make sure the belt was done or is due at 70k or five years. Either way its due.
Make sure of no suspension rattles and definitely make sure there are no warning lights on dash. Thats pretty much it.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
11,778 Posts
We don't have too many petrol 307s on here, most people go for the diesel.

But, if you browse the 307 section you'll see the common issues which occur. You'll most likely experience the ABS sensors, possibly the heater, and it will probably be ready for a new clutch, as well as the cambelt like David says (Don't take the sellers word for it, see proof and paperwork).

What price is the seller asking? There are plenty of 307s out there, I'd probably look for one with history. "Well looked after" and "no history" don't go hand in hand. New parts suggests to me a quick fix to get rid.

But, on the bright side, they're very easy to work on, its a popular car, and parts are reasonable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the advice guys. My budget is quite tight at only £1300 max allowing for an additional £100 or so to sort any problems. The one i went to see today was quite bad. How does the clutch normally sit in these pugs cos it felt quite high but i know some cars can be like that. The steering felt really light to me too, my previous car was an MG ZR so its hard to compare. So i'm still on the look out n i've seen a decent looking diesel so any help woth spotting the big issues on the diesels? When are services due and i've been warned about the dual mass flywheels in them costing a bomb...
Cheers, mark

C

·
0 Posts
If the clutch feels high it's on its way out, which would be commensurate with the mileage. Don't try and convince yourself that any fault is a characteristic of the car.

Not wishing to seem rude but unless you're really clued on what you're doing, such as a mechanic/technician yourself, then £1300 is not a budget likely to get you a Golf sized car with a reasonable chance of nothing major wrong with it. You might luck out, or you might be a techie, but generally speaking it's old banger money and liable only to buy you another few hundred quids worth of trouble.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, appreciate your feedback, call me naive but i'm sure there are still some good cars around within my budget. I sold my ZR for £800 n there was not a single thing wrong with - price reflected the market for the age of the car.

I'm sure there are cars out there that have been well maintained by people similar to myself who are selling for a genuine reason and not just because there are things wrong with it. I know these will be very rare finds but i am being super picky and in no hurry.

I don't mind if there are things that need doing i can do most normal service items myself n i have a cousin who's a mechanic for bigger things such as timing belts or clutch - i appreciate these are items people would normally pay alot to repair so could be a reason for selling - so long as i can factor those in to the sale thats fine with me :)

·
11,778 Posts
Agree with Chopper.

I'm also looking for a 307 SW diesel for my dad in the £1200 region and you have to be really picky. I'm sure there is a good one out there, but there's a lot of rubbish as well.

The high clutch might not necessarily be a sign its on its way out, especially if you've been driving a different make of car. Same with steering.

If you do go for a diesel, you really need the 90bhp model. Its not that they're more reliable than the 110bhp, but they don't have a particulate filter and dual mass flywheel, which can be expensive things to replace when their time is up.

Services are every 12,000 miles. But the more dedicated owner will do them more often.

A good idea would be to find someone local to you with Peugeot Planet diagnostics, and ask them to check over any car you're seriously interested in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, i've now got about 5 diff 307's to look at so i hope i can find a decent one from all them. One is a 90hp Hdi with 136k on - quite high that, how strong are these engines for going high mileage?
How would i go about finding a local peugeot planet guru? And in the long term is it something that it would be worth investing in myself - guessing its canny expensive piece of gear like any diogs system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, cheers for the advice. The diesel one has been played with a bit - the lad says it has a 'tuning box' on it which apparently makes it 120bhp? This sounds kind of dodgy to me or is this a genuine thing. I know with the ZR's people used to buy stupid 'performance chips' off eBay n stick em on which does nothing at all apart from make you look like a complete and utter tool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts