Peugeot Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
I normally fix anything that attempts to rattle as soon as it does , and a good service when its needed , no major problems yet :eek:

But the build quality and the sourcing of parts by Peugeot when they were building them was crap ,

for example ,
who it their right mind would put a printed circuit board in a fan unit in front of the radiator which is open to the rain :nono:

But on the other had its a great looking and driving motor which i could afford without having to have £10,000 worth of repayments :thumb:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well it's 1 month since I bought my 407.
I've had no faults or weird noises .
Done 2500km , 1000km of this being motorway driving (weekend road-trip)
Must say it's so nice to drive on the motorway, loving the cruise-control :D.
Averaging 40mpg (7L/100km) doing 50km round trip to work,
compared to my old car (1.6 petrol Fiat Marea) 34mpg (8.2L/100km).
I'm happy enough with the consumption as it costs me about 15euro less to fill 60L of diesel compared to 60L of petrol.
The only little problem I have is that the rear seat-backs won't lock into position , has anyone else had this problem before?
All I have to say is I'm happy:nod:

Well it's 1 month since I bought my 407.
I've had no faults or weird noises .
Done 2500km , 1000km of this being motorway driving (weekend road-trip)
Must say it's so nice to drive on the motorway, loving the cruise-control :D.
Averaging 40mpg (7L/100km) doing 50km round trip to work,
compared to my old car (1.6 petrol Fiat Marea) 34mpg (8.2L/100km).
I'm happy enough with the consumption as it costs me about 15euro less to fill 60L of diesel compared to 60L of petrol.
The only little problem I have is that the rear seat-backs won't lock into position , has anyone else had this problem before?
All I have to say is I'm happy:nod:
diesel is cheaper than petrol over there? :confused:

yeah I sometimes get that with the seats, just make sure to slam them back into position... I think it's just a problem with the catch not engaging properly if you do it gently

Discussion starter · #24 ·
diesel is cheaper than petrol over there? :confused:

yeah I sometimes get that with the seats, just make sure to slam them back into position... I think it's just a problem with the catch not engaging properly if you do it gently
Ya Diesel is about 20 cent cheaper than petrol here in France.
I tried to close them with a bit of force but they won't lock in, the catches are working as I can close them manually.

Turbo failing is most likely due to the turbo oil feed pipe being clogged up. This should be replaced or at very least you should flush the engine when changing oil.
Hmm. I'd be very careful about flushing oil. If the turbo oil line is blocked with sludge, then sludge build up is probably in the engine elsewhere.

An oil flush has the potential to dislodge chunks of sludge and those can block the oil galleys elsewhere in the engine.

It really depends on condition of engine and mileage etc.

A good resource for such things is "Bob is the oil guy" on t'interweb. The people on there are quite knowledgeable about oil.

One thing i was told was short oil change intervals with something like mobil 1 ( correct spec for your car) as the detergents in it will gently clean the engine through. Unfortunately i'm a believer of short oil changes. Not waiting 15-20k before changing. The i'll do is 10k between changes. Less if i can!!! My regime on new Pug will be x3 2-3k changes then start my oil change intervals properly.

I remember being told the the oil is the blood of the engine. Keep it healthy and the engine keeps healthy!!

Just my 0.02p worth :)

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Hi guys , been a while since I posted here.
All is going well with the car .
I just have 1 or 2 short questions.

Can someone tell me what this millage counter is? , as it does not correspond to either trip counter. I know that the top one is the overall millage what is the other one? These show when you unlock the car and before you start the engine!

For anyone with the Auto gearbox..... Does anyone ever use the TipTronic/manual option?

Does anyone use the S (sport) button? What are the sporty things that this button does?

Thanks .

Distance travelled since reset. Easy to reset.
Scroll up on the cruise stalk, then press the reset button on the dash.
For some reason they have 3 counters. Trip 1 and 2 plus that one on the binnacle display.

I use the manual mode on the tip tronic at times when slowing down, I manually downshift as it aids braking & saves a bit of fuel.

The sport button on the tip tronic does nothing except let's the engine fully rev through the gears up to redline then shifts. Downshifts earlier when more throttle is applied too

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Hi, anyone know what - AIR INTAKE AUTO MONITORING- means? as I've had it display for a few seconds on the screen , this has happened twice in the last 2/3 months.
Thanks

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Hi guys been a while since I've posted.

Just wondering is it much of a job to change the front brake pads myself, as
I have a warning that comes up on the screen telling me that the Front Brake Pads Worn. And I don't have the money to take it to a garage at the moment.

And would these be the correct pads for my car and which would be the best to buy?
Jeu de 4 plaquettes de frein avant pour votre PEUGEOT 407 (6D_) 2.0 HDi 135 (136Ch)

Thanks for any help.

Hi guys been a while since I've posted.

Just wondering is it much of a job to change the front brake pads myself, as
I have a warning that comes up on the screen telling me that the Front Brake Pads Worn. And I don't have the money to take it to a garage at the moment.

And would these be the correct pads for my car and which would be the best to buy?
Jeu de 4 plaquettes de frein avant pour votre PEUGEOT 407 (6D_) 2.0 HDi 135 (136Ch)

Thanks for any help.
the link just goes to a search function, which set did you end up getting?

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Hi, I bought the TRW set, 45euro including delivery to a collection point (collected yesterday). The garage would have charged me 102euro for the same pads.
The garage will fit them for 38 euro.
So it will cost 83euro instead of 155euro as quoted by the garage.
As I have never changed the brake pads before myself and I don't have the
piston rewind tool, I will have the garage change them as they need to be done urgently as the warning is coming up on the screen every time I brake.

First things first: have a look and see whether they actually are worn! Sometimes the sensor connections just need cleaning.

Otherwise, how's it been treating you?

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Yes I'v checked the pads and they are well worn, I'd say no more than a few mm left on them.
Otherwise have had no problems , had an oil change and all the filters about 3 months ago.
Have done almost 10,000km in 7 months.
So am quiet happy with her.

The rewind tool is for the rears.
You don't need it for the fronts. They just push back in as far as they will go.
I use a large,flat blade screwdriver,taking care not to mark the discs!
Do it before you take the old ones out.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.