Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have never owned a Peugeot and am thinking about buying a 2007 2.0 HDI . I am Irish and live in France. Here is a link to the car I'm looking at buying, sorry about it being in French . Any advice would be great. Thanks :thumb:

C

·
0 Posts
Hello & Welcome

Nice looking Car. I own a 2005 407 2.0sw hdi they are nice cars and lovely to drive, but as i'm sure everybody on here will agree with me make sure you give her a good look over before you buy. You obviously want to make sure you push every button and try every switch as they come with lots of toys and you need to make sure that they all work. Also make sure that there is service history as a unloved car will generally cause you a lot of heartache trying to correct existing faults. The most common things to look out for are Lower ball joints they always fail but are a cheap and easy fix if you can use a spanner, Tyre pressure sensors, and ABS Sensors are also common failures. Now the expensive parts If you buy a HDi as with all new diesels you need to be covering long distances if you have a DPF other wise it will get clogged due to not being able to Regen properly and that can be expensive to replace, also theres the Dual Mass Flywheel again with all new diesels these are costly to replace when the clutch finally gives up the ghost.:nod:
Enough with my negativity I have owned mine since August and to be honest she's one of the best cars I have owned to date comfy quiet and full of toys but have a search around the 407 section on here to give you a honest idea as to what to look out for. :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes this car has the service history book and the invoices.
I might be taking it for a test drive tomorrow if my bank loan gets approved.
What is the fuel consumption like with the 2.0 HDI 136hp?
At the moment I have a Fiat Marea 1.6sx (petrol) 2000yr 200 000+km, and I have calculated that it does 34.1mpg (440 miles on 60 L) (not so good:().
I do a 50km round-trip to work 5 days a week, is this enough to stop the DPF from clogging up?
In general is it an expensive car to maintain?
Anyone got any opinions on the Automatic gearbox? What is the Tiptronic like to use and when would you use it?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Cmelb.:lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would def check it's been looked after as a couple of the wheels have def been kerbed and a good driver doesn't usually kerb the wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check the service history if I go for a test drive tomorrow.
I have just managed to see the ownership history of it online, 2 owners, 1st had it 3 months professional , 2nd had 5yrs7mts private use.
Everything looks legit for the moment.

Would still like to hear opinions on the auto gearbox, as have never driven an auto?!
:thumb:

·
5,087 Posts
check it very,very carefully.
My opinions/observations
2 bits of trim missing from front bumper
grille bent
cap missing from rear bumper
wheel kerbed, not the sign of a good driver

suspect its just the pictures but the leather looks worn

is the price good ??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know about the bits of trim missing. only cosmetic.
the price is good, there are 2 internet site for checking the value of cars here in france and this is what the insurance companys use to value cars, this is for this car 4 990 €
COTE ARGUS : 9180€
COTE KILOM : 7286€
I post tomorrow if I take the test drive.

Thanks for your opinion.

·
5,087 Posts
I know about the bits of trim missing. only cosmetic
Agreed, but it gives an indication of how the car was loved.......or not by the previous owner, i couldnt drive my 407 around with bits of trim missing, and bent grill etc.

If previous owner was happy to ignore these what else was he/she happy enough to ignore..........................only my opinion on people/etc
not trying to put you off, just wouldnt like you to buy a bad 407 because if you do you'll hate it but if you get the right one you'll love it :cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Theres a tip here guys.... sell your 407 in France :lol: if that price is good, we're losing money on them in the uk :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 110944 here but,
Missing (removed?) cap in rear bumper, totally mullered rear seat..Taxi?
I have checked the ownership history, it was registered for Professional use for 5 months from new and then the second owner had it private for 5yrs7mts.
Well hopefully will go to test drive it tomoz and have a proper look over.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok here we go,
Bank loan accepted , sign papers tomorrow.
Test drive booked for 4pm Friday .

So what are the key points I should look at on the 407?

What are the tell-tail signs of the ball joint needing changing?

I have only owned 2 cars,
first was bought from a VW dealer in 2005 (1995 Polo 1.3) that then became my girlfriend first car.
Second was bought from my boss in 2007 (2000 Fiat Marea 1.6sx, imported from England) , this was all when I lived in Ireland.

So any help with things to look out for would be great.

PS. what kind of mpg can I expect from the 407 2.0 HDI Auto.?

J

·
0 Posts
Key points already been highlighted above.

Quick rough and ready test for ball joints.... full lock one way, then reverse slowly and turn to full lock the other way.... mine made a very noticeable clunk that could be heard and also felt through the steering wheel when doing this.

mpg for the 2.0HDI auto.... only my guess, but low ish 30s... I get high 30s/low 40s for my 2.0 manual, and an auto won't be as good on fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK guys well I've decided to go ahead and buy it. Had a test drive today and I must say that the 407 is a very nice car, so many toys:cool: and comfortable, a bit of a step up from my 2000 Fiat Marea :D. Drives well , no strange noises, no warning lights , all button seem to work , has had a new turbo fitted at the last service. Will have it next Friday, so will post more comments after I have lived with it for a few months.
I guess I have now joined the PUG family:thumb:

J

·
0 Posts
Just check one thing.... what caused the last turbo to require replacing. You'll need to make sure that the root cause has been fixed, or you could end up with another turbo going... best to check before parting with your money :thumb:

The 407 is definitely a very good car to drive though :nod:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just check one thing.... what caused the last turbo to require replacing. You'll need to make sure that the root cause has been fixed, or you could end up with another turbo going... best to check before parting with your money :thumb:

The 407 is definitely a very good car to drive though :nod:
Turbo failing is most likely due to the turbo oil feed pipe being clogged up. This should be replaced or at very least you should flush the engine when changing oil.

D

·
0 Posts
Or mostly because the car wasn't serviced correctly. Turbos fail for a reason. Mostly because poor oil change history. Id have walked away.

Sent from my GT-S5690

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lovely car, but we've had a fairly hefty bill at least once a year. Seems that the car was often cobbled together rather than being built with servicing in mind!

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that servicing more frequently than the engine tells me is possibly the answer. Good luck with it - apart from the bills it's a great car and huge inside.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts